Anyone use just braid with no leader?

Discuss rods, reels, lures, terminal tackle, line and fishing related accessories or apparel.
senkosam
Angler

Anyone use just braid with no leader?

Post by senkosam »

I do a lot of ultra-light fishing and found that 8# test braid does fine. It never breaks when fighting a large fish and most time the hook will straighten when pulling out of a snag. The small diameter of braid allows the best lure action for hard and soft baits and well as good light strike detection/hook sets at a distance. Is there a reason for using an f/c or mono leader?
OOlicon
Pro Angler

Re: Anyone use just braid with no leader?

Post by OOlicon »

The main reason is abrasion resistance, under tension, PE based lines tend to shear easily. They also have a strong tendency to float which can hider some presentations especially finesse ones like weightless wacky.
Other than that the only other reason to use a FC or mono leader is for shock absorption unless you're good about drag management/hooking fish in open water (good luck), or use a hook that can take the pain.
I still use a leader for my finesse for these reasons.
senkosam
Angler

Post by senkosam »

Thanks for the reply.
La Mesan
Angler

Post by La Mesan »

When I'm working a fluke over the top of grass.
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler

Post by VinnyBass »

I use straight braid on a number of my rods.
Two of my flippin' rods have straight braid(40 & 50lb PowerPro) as I usually flip a Tokyo rig or weighted worm or craw into cover.
A few other bait caster rods (I believe have 20 & 30lb PowerPro)for tossing Texas rigged worms, crawbaits or jigs.
One of my spinning rods has 20lb braid(PowerPro) and I never have any problems casting or or getting wind knots etc. I may toss
a senko or work a small Texas rigged crawbait, a Ned rig or other small weighted worm.
I just decided that I can use other rods if I want to use line other than braid, especially at lakes that have pretty clear water.
Other than that, I have not used a leader when I use braid for at least over 10 years.
senkosam
Angler

Post by senkosam »

I figure if I can catch fish on a 1/32 oz jig + soft plastic using only braid and still catch a sh.load of fish, I don't see any advantage of going back to using plastic lines that don't cast light lures nearly as good.