Backpacks

Discuss rods, reels, lures, terminal tackle, line and fishing related accessories or apparel.
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Backpacks

Post by DarkShadow »

I've had my Shimano Blackmoon Backpack for almost 15 years now. (The OG blue one)

After years of abuse, it has finally started to die. And I'm looking for a similar backpack.

I've seen and heard the new black Shimano Blackmoon backpacks sucking. Either zippers or tears, it's always something.

I don't trust Plano anymore when it comes to bags. They may make great boxes, but their bags suck. I've had to warranty THREE boat bags already, with the last one their customer service telling me they can't offer me anymore assistance. The bags either tear, or zippers fall apart, almost as if Plano doesn't understand fishing boxes may weight quite a bit when put in bags.

Some people say the TackleWarehouse ones have the same form factor, but I've seen those deteriorate faster than the new Shimano ones.

Any recommendations of something that size? And they don't need to come with boxes either. God knows I have enough 3700 form factors.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Re: Backpacks

Post by camobass »

I’ve used the TW one for many years. Not 15 years but have been happy with it. I actually bought two. Haven’t had any issues with them coming apart. It could be bigger. But I have up graded due to size and just use those for the boat. The bag I replaced them with is the best backpack I ever got and it’s not a tackle pack. GI joes army surplus in el Cajon. They have awesome varieties of new and used back packs. Tactical. Only difference is they don’t have binder rings. Virtually everything else is the same. But more space and pockets and expandable. Plus camel back. Super comfortable belly strap and chest straps. Zippers are HD as well as buckles. They fit easy 4 big Plano sealed boxes (red seals). Plus a lot of other room. Plus with tactical straps, you can easy strap extra rods on the side and they stay tight and out of the way. That place has alot of other awesome stuff in it too.
Last edited by camobass on Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
La Mesan
Angler

Post by La Mesan »

How many rods & how much weight are you looking to carry?
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

La Mesan wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:02 pm How many rods & how much weight are you looking to carry?
The current Blackmoon is perfect. It carries 2 3700s in the main pocket and 2 3700s in the secondary.

That size is perfect. It stows easily and gives me everything I need.
CorsoEnthusiast
Extreme Angler

Post by CorsoEnthusiast »

https://fishlabtackle.com/products/fishlab-backpackThis is the one I have and it’s awesome. I can fit 4-5 3700s on it, tons of compartments for smaller stuff and d rings to attach your pliers/scissors to. I have beat the hell out of it for the last year and a half and it’s still kicking. Highly recommend.
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

timber hawk.JPG
A different kind of backpack....for hiking with some tackle...but they also make other styles of packs that might interest some of you.
There are no creeks in san diego with fish in them. But if you have day-long hikes in the sierra, toting lunch, a camera, rain gear, a space blanket, more lunch, some water bladders...large capacity lumbar pack that won't slide down...blah blah blah...anniversary sale half price right now. 50 bucks plus shipping... free shipping if you spend 73 dollars. timberhawk.com

My old one is still good but I now have two. One will be for general hiking...and a go-bag specifically for local creeks. If there were any that had fish in them.
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....