Closing Day 2023…Steady Variety

For Barrett Lake fishing reports ONLY. All other questions or discussions should be in the general Barrett Lake forum
JWall
Extreme Angler

Closing Day 2023…Steady Variety

Post by JWall »

Motored out in darkness for one last day. Warmer than expected and no rain materialized. It was cloudy to partly cloudy all morning though. Beautiful fishing conditions and we started at the same place in Hauser I had morning success last Sunday. Its like that bite never stopped and the same plastics (reaper and small worms splitshot) got us started. After about a half dozen we let the light breeze push us east and farther into Hauser bumping said lures. Saw Early Release and compared notes while drifting along. I love the way the Barrett fishing family is always willing to share notes and sometimes lures!! Thanks again Dave. While drifting we saw a random buster and I promptly caught my second smallest bass ever on a bluegill square bill crankbait…lol. Hey that takes talent! Also on that drift I caught maybe my biggest bluegill on a mini grub I had tied on just to target those bruisers.

My buddy Dan was catching a steady variety as well and later nabbed a great looking crappie to go with his bass and bluegill. We finally got back to the big bay in Hauser and found Dave chasing busters with a fellow regular. They were somewhat finicky so we opted to troll swimming minnows and locate/catch them that way, adding some 1-2 pound bass to our numbers and yes those aggressive bluegills again. Dan had a ceremony of life to get to by 2 so we cranked up to big motor and were off the water by 11:30.

It was a fun year for our rotating crew of 4. I think we would agree that the numbers were off and it seems the size was off as well. BUT…Barrett still kicks a** compared to other lakes and the beauty is incomparable. A big thanks to the staff as well for providing a great experience each day they are open! Im already itching for May tickets to go on sale!
Attachments
IMG_1033.jpeg
IMG_4013.jpeg
IMG_1032.jpeg
IMG_4016.jpeg
IMG_1037.jpeg
Early release
Extreme Angler

Re: Closing Day 2023…Steady Variety

Post by Early release »

Great to see you guys today. It sure was a great season, the last month was a little slow, but we sure all had fun. Counting the days to the opener!
Shawnster
Angler

Re: Closing Day 2023…Steady Variety

Post by Shawnster »

Sounds like a great way to end the season! Thanks for the report John.