How much of a workout is float tubing?

Float tubes are a convenient and affordable way to get on the water, and finally get to those fish that you can't reach from shore. Discuss float tubes, outfitting float tubes for fishing, and float tube fishing.
Eg3210
Angler

How much of a workout is float tubing?

Post by Eg3210 »

I'm looking for something new in fishing, would love to get off the land once in a while.
But I'm pretty badly broken. My back and hip are busted, but my knees are fine.
I'm trying to get an idea of how much work it is to paddle around in a flaot tube. And I don't mean heading out to the kelp beds (not even sure if that's a thing or not) just paddling around Chula Vista marina or somewhere else in the south bay within 50 to a hundred yards of where I put in for maybe an hour.
Is this something that wears out an able bodied man? Or is it a very light recreational thing?
Thanks for any input. I don't want to drop a couple hundred bucks only to realize I can't even do it
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Re: How much of a workout is float tubing?

Post by Gotfish? »

I mostly fish the bay and let the tide take me out and back. Tubing is not that hard unless you are trying to kick against the tide or wind. If you stay inside the marina, it will be very easy. You should probably stick with inside the marina for the 1st few trips until you are comfortable with the tube, even then, you will learn to watch the tide and the wind. Outside the marina, there is some tidal current but nothing like Shelter Island area. If you do venture out of the marina area and find the current is strong, remember that the current is quite a bit weaker close to shore or in shallow areas.

It is usually about the same effort level as hiking on flat ground so if you can do that for a couple of hours, you will be OK. Your legs will be almost constantly moving, just to keep the tube facing the right direction or to position yourself along structure. I assume you are going to get something like the Fish Cat or Cumberland tubes, not a donut tube which is not very efficient. Staying inside the marina to start with is a good idea until your leg muscles get used to tubing if you are not physically active.

If I had an extra tube, I would take you out. I do have extra flippers and waders though. If you watch the for sale pages here, you can probably get a good deal on a tube.
Eg3210
Angler

Post by Eg3210 »

Thanks for the info! Hiking is a bit more then I can do and I hadn't thought about constantly kicking to just face the right way. I was hoping to kick over to an area and then kinda rest and fish there before I kick somewhere else.
Seems like it might not the right mode for me. I'll keep looking at other options
Thanks
professionull
Mega Pro Angler

Post by professionull »

Eg3210 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:19 pm Thanks for the info! Hiking is a bit more then I can do and I hadn't thought about constantly kicking to just face the right way. I was hoping to kick over to an area and then kinda rest and fish there before I kick somewhere else.
Seems like it might not the right mode for me. I'll keep looking at other options
Thanks
You can always get an anchor if you need to take a break but tubing takes quite a bit of time to kick over to where you want to go unless you have a drill with a good battery and drill paddle (which may or may not be a good idea around salt water).
inthedeep2
Angler

Post by inthedeep2 »

honestly the worst part in my mind for you would be the sitting, if your back and hip are your trouble areas. my back isnt the best and i found that i shifted alot.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Bring some pickle juice. The calf and hammy cramps can be epic and hit with zero warning. It’s pretty hilarious when you’re in a group of buddies.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Just_Bass
Angler

Post by Just_Bass »

Get a good fin that fit your feet well and don’t plan to float in windy day. I once lost one cheap fin when trying to kick myself back to shore in windy day.
Dry Fly Rie
Angler

Post by Dry Fly Rie »

inthedeep2 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:56 pm honestly the worst part in my mind for you would be the sitting, if your back and hip are your trouble areas. my back isnt the best and i found that i shifted alot.

This! My hips and back are always way more sore than my legs after a long tubing session.
self fish
Angler

Post by self fish »

It’s actually pretty comfortable if you have inflatable backrest and inflatable seats on your Floattube and the thruster fins with the long blades work much better than most fins, I recommend you wear high top mountain boots you get at big 5 for cheap and wear them over your stocking foot waders for a better kick and to protect your waders from holes if you walk on the ground without anything on your going to get holes in the bottom of your foot.holes in waders are the worst,cause you get cramps,you need to take a piss,you get hungry, you get tired,and soaking wet. Get good waders and protect them well. Once you get the hang of it you’ll have a good time and it becomes effortless and it’s so comfortable like sitting in a lazy boy chair but be careful you might fall asleep on the water and lose your pole.
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

self fish wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:20 pm It’s actually pretty comfortable if you have inflatable backrest and inflatable seats on your Floattube and the thruster fins with the long blades work much better than most fins, I recommend you wear high top mountain boots you get at big 5 for cheap and wear them over your stocking foot waders for a better kick and to protect your waders from holes if you walk on the ground without anything on your going to get holes in the bottom of your foot.holes in waders are the worst,cause you get cramps,you need to take a piss,you get hungry, you get tired,and soaking wet. Get good waders and protect them well. Once you get the hang of it you’ll have a good time and it becomes effortless and it’s so comfortable like sitting in a lazy boy chair but be careful you might fall asleep on the water and lose your pole.
Diving booties over stocking foot waders are popular too, they won't take up as much room as mountain boots or be as heavy. You will need to go up about 1 shoe size. I wear my waders into the dive shop and try them on. They slide over a lot easier if you wet them down 1st, either at home before leaving or with a spray bottle.
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

Water is warm now. Don't need waders or boots. Some people get sore hips or back some don't. My back was jacked.up for a year...hurt to hike or bike but didn't bother me in the tube.
There are places on both bays with easy launches and very little tidal movement, so you can figure out whether your creaky bones can handle it.
The earlier you go, the fewer problems with parking and.wind.
I have spare dive booties, fins, pfd even an extra tube that holds.air pretty well.
Pm me if you want.to give it a.shot.
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
inthedeep2
Angler

Post by inthedeep2 »

Carpkiller wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:18 am Water is warm now. Don't need waders or boots.
I have spare dive booties, fins, pfd even an extra tube that holds.air pretty well.
Pm me if you want.to give it a.shot.
i will throw the offer out as well, usually hit sd bay every friday. mostly shelter island and tidelands coronado. i have tube fins just no pfd or booties.
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

I always use waders. Even though the water temps are up, they are nowhere near 98.6 degrees. Water is very efficient at sucking the heat out of your body. I tend to fish longer than most. My buddies that try the no wader thing invariably want to leave before the Evening “ Grey Bite” my favorite part of the day. Many have watched me slay while shivering on the shore.
Eg3210
Angler

Post by Eg3210 »

Sorry to ignore all this helpful stuff. I didn't see any notifications, that anyone responded.
Thanks for both the tips and the invite to join!
Right now I'm dealing with a lower back issue that seems to keep coming back after I think its healed so I'm laying low for a bit but I'll see if I can't make it out on a Friday morning or something.
bendopolo 44+
Mega Pro Angler

Post by bendopolo 44+ »

Take it from one who knows. Get a viable stretching routine and stick to it religiously. I’m 61 and basically worked as a glorified Mover for 40 Years, picking up three Spinal fractures along the way. I mostly wake up in terrible pain, but after Coffee, Toasted Whole Grain Bread, and 15 minutes of stretching. I go thru the day relatively pain free. I Float Tube, Kayak, or run a foot controlled Electric Motor all day. Sometimes people catch me on the water, in a stretch and ask if I’m all right. “ I will be in a moment”….
Repeat after me, “ You got to get up in the morning, it’s Coffeetime”! That has got me up every day of my adult life. Never a no show, never late, rarely Skunked. Good luck with your lower back issues, I’m living proof they are manageable.
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

As Bendo aptly pointed out, waders make it easier to stay in the tube for longer periods. For a couple-three hour shakedown cruise, trunkin' it is the way to go....especially in the coming weeks when the water temps will likely move closer to 70 degrees.
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
Stringbean
Pro Angler

Post by Stringbean »

bendopolo 44+ wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:42 am Take it from one who knows. Get a viable stretching routine and stick to it religiously. I’m 61 and basically worked as a glorified Mover for 40 Years, picking up three Spinal fractures along the way. I mostly wake up in terrible pain, but after Coffee, Toasted Whole Grain Bread, and 15 minutes of stretching. I go thru the day relatively pain free. I Float Tube, Kayak, or run a foot controlled Electric Motor all day. Sometimes people catch me on the water, in a stretch and ask if I’m all right. “ I will be in a moment”….
Repeat after me, “ You got to get up in the morning, it’s Coffeetime”! That has got me up every day of my adult life. Never a no show, never late, rarely Skunked. Good luck with your lower back issues, I’m living proof they are manageable.
Benopolo,
Hit it on the head, I'm older then he is, everyone at our age is stiff.
Stretching, exercise and pushing your self as hard as you can is the only way to stay active.
Sitting, eating, and TV, leads to a certain early death.
Age is only a number, a busy person doesnt think about it much.
Your biggest regret will be not giving it a try, water has little resistance and is good for ya.
Just start out slowly, cruise, its not a race.

Good luck
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler

Post by Fisheromen »

There are also pontoon vessels that can be kicked or rowed.
BTW, force fins, though pricey, are much better for tubing. They can be purchased used for much less.
I love tubing, but after 5 or 6 hours I am ready for ibuprofen and a nap.
OOlicon
Pro Angler

Post by OOlicon »

I would avoid days with strong currents, the strongest tides of the year can be a real battle. If you get too much current, make sure you can kick towards shore, and avoid shore bank near areas you will get accosted for landing at.

For wind, it's a good idea to account for wind shadow, I've used moored boats as wind shelters in open water numerous times to great effect.

I also have hip issues, and have only had knee issues post injury, but if you have a good knee, I think tubing the bays should be fine.

Oh, and bring an air horn for sailboaters.