Dealerships don't want more...

Discussions not related to fishing.
otaymichael
Extreme Angler

Dealerships don't want more...

Post by otaymichael »

EV's. Heard a radio program stating that dealerships have EV's that are not selling, and don't want to order more till they do. The rich have theirs, but the po folk aren't into them. Fear of 'not going the distance needed' and 'not finding charging stations' are listed as the main two reasons they're not of interest to the 'average joe', (me, you?).

sleazy-salesman.jpg
old_rookie
Angler

Re: Dealerships don't want more...

Post by old_rookie »

I read that somewhere too.
Well... my last car/van I bought I paid $6000 for it.
For me to change to an EV... that means I'd need to fork out $30k or more - and they say charge at home - old house - probably $$$ for electrical work to install a home charger.
Then my insurance premiums will go up.
I'll have monthly payments when I didn't have any - but the EV people will argue I don't need to pay for gas - but now I have a car payment and a small car that probably can't handle roof racks for my kayak. I have put two kayaks inside the van, plus a cooler and all the gear.
Ok, then get an EV to replace the van they say? I think that would be something like a Rivian truck? those go for what $90k??? $70k??
Not seeing the financial logic making any sense here.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

No one hauls anything in San Diego especially in the rural areas. EV’S make perfect sense for all SD. That radio program is fake news, get with the narrative Michael.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
otaymichael
Extreme Angler

Post by otaymichael »

camobass wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:48 am No one hauls anything in San Diego especially in the rural areas. EV’S make perfect sense for all SD. That radio program is fake news, get with the narrative Michael.
:D
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Neuroshima »

My friends got a Ford EV and they get battery anxiety. Had an experience in East county where they ran low and the 2 nearest charging stations were booked or broken. They made it to a relative's house on sparks and had to leave their car there to charge up. Silly....
TaBASSco
Pro Angler

Post by TaBASSco »

I don't live in sunny SD county anymore. Last winter, up here on the prairie there were less than 4 days where the temperature got above freezing during a six month period of time. There is one Tesla in town, and I never saw that car once during the winter. You can barely get a regular vehicle to crank over in sub freezing weather. Most people keep have block warmers and extra capacity batteries to make sure that their vehicles start. To keep an EV running in the winter means that you would need to keep it in a heated garage to ensure proper and full charging. A cold EV won't even charge when temps get low enough. Then, you won't get the full benefit and run time out of it in the cold. So the best case scenario is having an EV in a mild climate, and we know that that those areas are where utility rates and cost of living are the highest.
Never butt heads with buttheads.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Fake news. EV’S are the greatest thing since sliced bread. All that lithium mining is false too. No damage to the climate. You can charge lithium batteries in sub zero weather. I get the facts from fact checkers and Wikipedia so don’t tell me I’m wrong. Where’s the links when you need them?

It’s pretty fun to respond like the “majority” on here.
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

Ignoring the fake news on the radio, for the moment....

You guys are a buncha whiners. E-cars have awesome warranties!

Looky here: "Of note, electric vehicles sold in California are required to include battery coverage for 10 years or 150,000 miles.
But be aware that every new-vehicle warranty contains exceptions and exclusions aplenty. For example, some automakers only cover an EV’s battery pack against total failure, while most will replace it if it dips below a specified reduced capacity percentage, usually 60-70%, while under warranty." (Forbes, By The Numbers: Comparing Electric Car Warranties, Oct. 2022)

So even if your e-car's range drops by 40% (or 99%), you may be able to get a new battery. That's fair; I mean, after 214,000 miles, my last gas powered car's range dropped by ...well, zero percent. But that's NOT the point!

The maintenance costs over the life of my old Ranger were hellacious, nearly two thousand dollars worth of tires, brakes, plugs & wires, 3 batteries, a few air and oil filters, oil. I am seriously considering selling my 5 year old Tacoma (which is worth more than I paid for it), and finance another
20 grand to buy an e-car that can't be charged at home...or work (no charging stations nearby). I mean, that Tacoma's days are numbered...it's probably only gonna last another ten to fifteen years without any major maintenance costs. But it's gotta go! Makes perfect sense to me, ya buncha carping luddites.

p.s. All kidding aside, I have no problem with e-cars...and by the time my Tacoma's worn out...in 2038 or so...I'm sure e-car technology will have improved enough to make 'em economically viable for most users of passenger vehicles.
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Well, if you live in California, which I think most of us do, there's a mandate that after 2035 you can't get a combustion engine vehicle.
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/news/california- ... sales-2035

In the article they talk about cost parity with ICE vehicles by 2030 and savings of $790/year in 2035.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Yup, then you’ll be at fate of the power grid. We gotta make it to 2035 first.
No more typical Southern California recreation. Towing to the desert, river, horse trailers. Hauling hay, fire wood. Construction material. Not all of us live in apartments in down town. A lot of us in San Diego make 100-125mile round trips and haul up a grade.
Carpkiller
Extreme Angler

Post by Carpkiller »

More whining.

Look, man up. Put on your skinny jeans and take an Uber to go thrifting for a vintage Trilby, then go to a cybercafe to drink $9 coffees and surf the web. What kind of recreation would anyone need, beyond that?
I'll pretend my tube's not sinking
'Cause I'm the king of wishful thinking....
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

Here is a list of the vehicles with the most over supply and the most under supply: https://caredge.com/guides/new-car-inve ... -and-least

Not one on either list is a full electric.

FYI, home solar is a no brainer. There are companies like Sunrun that will install their equipment on your roof at no cost and sell the power to you for 40% less than SDG&E. Or you can own the solar outright if you prefer, more savings but you will own any problems that might arise. Like lease versus buy.
Zach
Angler

Post by Zach »

Until graphene battery technology can be commercialized, I will stick to my dinosaur powered metal carriage.