San Diego County Fishing Information 🐟

Fishing reports for the following SoCal counties:
Imperial, Inyo, Los Angeles, Mono, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura.
admin
SDFish

San Diego County Fishing Information 🐟

Post by admin »

What then makes San Diego such a good fishing place? Below are some reasons that make San Diego a top fishing spot:

Favorable laws regarding fishing.
Accessibility to enough water.
Comprehensive guidelines on the protection of the environment.
A robust ecosystem.

Many of the lakes and streams in San Diego county are stocked with rainbow trout during the colder season and catfish in the warmer months. Most lakes also contain bass, bluegill and carp. Fish stocking is mostly done by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife and stocking schedules can be found online on the corresponding lake's website or on the CDFW fish stocking website:
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants

La Jolla
One of the top fishing spots where you are guaranteed not going home empty-handed is La Jolla. Among many reasons you should come to La Jolla, a fishing expedition is first on your list. From halibut, barracuda to calico bass, La Jolla has plenty of it. You can be angling from the shoreline, but you can be sure there is something for you to take home. Without forgetting, at La Jolla, fishing is all year-round.

San Diego Bay
At San Diego Bay, the entire shoreline stretching 12 miles offers excellent fishing spots. If you have been to the Bay, you will attest to it. Shore fishing at San Diego Bay offers the greatest opportunity, whether angling from your boat or land. Therefore, you can have uncountable access points for both boat and shore fishing.

It may be your lucky day as you can catch a large variety of species. The Bay is well known for such varieties as spotted bay bass, halibut, and bonefish. Fishing spots like Marina and Embarcadero are amazing if you love Spotted Bay Bass, Bonefish, or Halibut.

Ocean Beach Pier
At 1,971 feet, the Ocean Beach claims one of the longest landings in the county of San Diego. Therefore, it is an excellent spot for sightseeing with its sweeping views as well as fishing. In addition, it has Ocean Beach Café in the vicinity for good eats. Also within ocean beach is a well-stocked bait and tackle store. You can get all the equipment and gear you need for your fishing experience. You will expect to catch bass, perch, and mackerel if you opt to fish in deeper waters.

Mission Bay
Mission bay is another fishing spot with pristine shorelines that you will want to discover. Though the protected waters of Mission Bay make part of Mission Bay Park, the place is still open to anglers. As such, there are still numerous spots from which you can cast your line. Some of the catches you will be delighted to get are halibut, spotted bay bass, and corvine.

In addition, the place is served with numerous family recreational facilities. So it will be fine to go fishing with your family. Mission bay is thus a perfect place for a family vacation and visitors interested in fishing excursions.

Shelter Island Pier
Shelter Island is one of the best fishing piers near Point Loma in San Diego. The pier is T-shaped and extends 200 feet from the shoreline. Besides, it is straddling 500 feet in length, thereby offering enough room for fishing. Also, the pier is served with all fishing amenities, including a bait and tackle store and fish cleaning station. The most popular species you can catch include mackerel, barred sand bass, calico bass, bonito, barracuda, and many more.

Deep Sea and Ocean Fishing
San Diego is also a home of the exciting deep sea fishing. From early summer on into the fall exotic game fish migrate north from Mexican waters into the range of San Diego ocean fishermen. Some of the best fishing is often found between 10 - 50 miles offshore along the Baja coast, Coronado Islands and outerbanks.
-
Str8t Slabaronies
Angler

Sutherland

Post by Str8t Slabaronies »

Moved to correct board :?
Attachments
IMG_20230409_075632028.jpg
IMG_20230409_113713341.jpg
IMG_20230409_113611278.jpg
IMG_20230409_111819287.jpg
IMG_20230409_090547315.jpg
Last edited by Str8t Slabaronies on Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
otaymichael
Mega Pro Angler

Re: San Diego County Fishing Report and Information 🐟

Post by otaymichael »

Cool.
Chatmar
Angler

Re: San Diego County Fishing Report and Information 🐟

Post by Chatmar »

Slab, great to see you found the new post. I have heard about great crappie fishing recently at Sutherland. My problem is they don't rent boats. I tried Wohlford and Henshaw 2 weekends ago. 3 crappie at Wohlford and 0 at Henshaw. Henshaw's water temp is still around 48 degrees. Lol. But the lake looked awesome. Lots of water and no algae. I have a Clear Lake Crappie trip set for May 8th-10th. Wish me luck. Send me a PM I just got some Crappie intel for another lake near you.