Barrett Blue Gill

Talk about fishing one of the country's premier bass fisheries, Barrett Lake.
The_Outdoor_Chase
Angler

Barrett Blue Gill

Post by The_Outdoor_Chase »

Hi everyone! Taking my family out for bass but i know the Barrett Blue Gill fishing is excellent as well. Anyone have any tips or tactics when wanting to target the blue gill out there?

Thank you,
Chase
Nute
Angler

Re: Barrett Blue Gill

Post by Nute »

You're gonna have a blast! BG fishing there is about as awesome as it gets. Small grubs (artificial), 1/8 kastmasters, etc. If you have a boat, just target semi-deep brush-piles. If you want an almost guarantee, fish the docks.

Ill buy your next ticket if you guys dont get on em. Dont forget, barbless, no live bait, blah, blah. Staff there is top notch.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Crappie jigs work well. A lot of decent bycatch bass on them also. There are some secondary points just north of the big rock face north of Wilson creek and pigs point. Find those. Cast out on them with a crappie jig (the road runner jigs with the tiny under spin work great). Work the bottom, once you get bit, fish the same spot. It can be every cast
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

Bluegill is a nice bycatch that I've got on cranks, jerkbaits and even spinnerblades, Having said that, if you're solely going to fish and target bluegill, then size down so you're guaranteed action.

Don't overlook simple rigs like a bobber and a tiny crappie jig. I know they make those "Trout Teaser" type jigs in 1/64th now.

The bobber allows you to suspend your bait at whatever depth these fish are at. It keeps your bait out of the brush by hanging it over it. It allows for easy strike detection. It allows you to cast a small bait.

If I had my choice, I'd use a tiny 1/80th ounce tungsten jig head and a 1" grub.
The_Outdoor_Chase
Angler

Post by The_Outdoor_Chase »

Thank you everyone for the advice! Ill report back once i get out there!
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

I am late to this thread but agree with all above, especially the bass bycatch. In fact, 2 years back when the bite slowed for summer, I started targeting bass with very small grubs. Definitely bluegill/crappie size. They were deadly on the bass but man, keeping a jumper on that small jighead was an adventure. Oh well, they get released anyway.
Surferjohn
Angler

Post by Surferjohn »

I second the kastmaster! It works in busters too.
:lol:
Attachments
8FECA307-EEDB-4F89-9B8F-EFF781D43C06.jpeg
E54E6BE5-3EA7-4CB4-9DBA-A745648E0013.jpeg
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler

Post by Gotfish? »

They do go absolutely crazy over Berkley Gulp, 2" bloodworm size like used for surf perch, rig on dropshot with small hook, imbed hook point in worm to keep weedless. I use a split shot for a sinker most of the time. Technically not a pure artificial as it is scented/flavored but so are a lot of other soft plastics including salt infused plastic worms such as Senkos. Have small pliers for removing hooks. Other choice is 2" soft plastics such as 4" finesse worms or Slim Senkos cut in half or 2" curly tail grubs on a drop shot. Can rig wacky or regular style, use about a #6 hook, long shank is nice for removing from the fish, bait holder hook ok too. Position above the snotty algae on the bottom. Years ago, I bought many bags of 2" Senkos on closeout for next to nothing and that is my go to. Make sure your barb is smashed down good as they like to swallow it.

Crappie sized crankbaits (Walmart) work for both bluegill and bass, they match the size of the shad there perfectly. But nothing works better than the dropshot in my experience. And some days, you will catch more bass on the 2" dropshot than bluegill; when they see bluegill pecking at the bait, they horn in and grab it themselves. Best bass on a 2" Senko at Barrett weighed 8.9 pounds. I generally use 6 pound test line and spinning gear for this.

And I have caught them on 6" worms and spoons but that is purely incidental.
blackcloud9
Pro Angler

Post by blackcloud9 »

Took my family in May a lot during the shad spawns, and my daughters clocked 200 of these in one morning. They kept a tally. :D A flylined 'cube' of senko on a #10 mosquito hook works well.

Double hookups all day long
Lake Barrett 052315 061.JPG

Light tackle action, you could see the fish waiting 2 inches deep next to the dock.
Lake Barrett 052315 085.JPG
.And the usual by-catch
Lake Barrett 052315 015.JPG
Lake Barrett 052315 018.JPG
Photos were 10 years ago, but was also similar consistent fishing when I went more often 20+ years ago.
My Kayak Fishing Photos
https://LarryL.com/photos