Annual Service/Install FF

For boat owners and prospective buyers to talk about owning and operating boats, as well as maintaining, repairing and rigging them. Also a place to discuss fishing boat makes and models.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Annual Service/Install FF

Post by JWall »

After a long hiatus, I’m back among the boat owner crowd. Nothing special, a small alumacraft w 50hp yamaha 2 stroke. Any input on reliable, fairly priced service? Thanks in advance!
Attachments
IMG_3368.jpeg
crawdadguy
Angler

Re: Annual Service/Install FF

Post by crawdadguy »

If it is a 2 stroke lower lubricant change and plugs ( I'd also put on a 10 micron fuel filter) also remove the prop and lube the shaft then reinstall That'll get the engine going...there are several you tube videos showing this and fairly easy to do. A water pump service if needed is a bit more work. Also several videos on installing a fish finder on an aluminum boat...not too complicated. Also keep the gas fresh or add stabil or other treatment. Another tip (if carberated (sp.) unplug the fuel line and run it out of gas unless you are going out again soon. Especially for long durations of non use.
As for price...everything is expensive now Water pump service can be about $200-300 at a shop.
professionull
Mega Pro Angler

Post by professionull »

You can change out the water pump with basic tools and a little bit of room. If that motor has been used in the ocean then I'd suggest replacing the zincs but if not disregard.

That boat looks like it was babied but if there is an hours meter on there that would help you know the maintenance procedure.

Does that engine use oil injection or is it premix with gas?
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

Hey thanks Professionull! It was babied, a 2007 in near perfect shape. A few upgrades already and I added the front leanpost. Drove to Havasu to purchase when the local aluminums were not up to par. Its an oil injection system, nice and clean. It has under 300 hours on it so not overused and the AZ dealer did a complete engine service last April. I have put about 50 of those 300 hours so thinking of putting it in a local shop for a service after the fall season wraps up. I am not the most mechanical and I wouldn’t have the tools anyway.