Surf fishing in Rosarito

Surf fishing, pier fishing, and jetty fishing reports and general discussions about fishing San Diego's surf zone.
ebcast94
Angler

Surf fishing in Rosarito

Post by ebcast94 »

I'm heading down to Rosarito in a few weeks and I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck in the surf down there. I'll be staying at a VRBO that has a staircase leading to the sand. I went in November of 2022, and surprisingly there were still sand crabs, which I used to catch a ton of BSP ranging from 8" to 14". Nothing like Pismo, but it was still fun. Now that it is summer, I'm wondering if they have the same species that we have in San Diego during the summer, like corbina, spotfin croaker, etc., and maybe halibut? If so, does anyone know size minimums on any fish, especially halibut? I tried googling fishing regulations for Baja CA but came up empty. Thanks!
camobass
Extreme Angler

Re: Surf fishing in Rosarito

Post by camobass »

Definitely halibut action. You can drive around a little and look for the eel grass/reef with sand channels in between. Looks like big sand veins. The halibut are thick. I lived in Ensenada for about 6 months and my captain was living near k38. I would prospect all around the area. All the species are there including calicos. If you want to fish gigantic BSP, you gotta go south of Ensenada. That’s where I ran into the big guys. I’d just focus on throwing jerkbaits and/or crocodiles. Chances of yellows and WSB are high. I’ve seen huge foaming schools of yellows inside the kelp within casting distance puerto Nuevo.

As far as regs, you can google Mexican fishing regulations. They really aren’t followed down there.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
vdisney
Mega Pro Angler

Post by vdisney »

Can't help with info, but good luck and have fun
Badrap
Angler

Post by Badrap »

There's no size limits, but I usually follow the current US size limits anyways. They do have a limit of only 5 per species except for some offshore fish species where its less.
Good luck down there when you go.