Hurricane Effect on Charter fishing out of SD?

Discuss saltwater sportfishing from sport boats, everything from 1/2 day to long range trips with the local sportfishing fleet.
Post Reply
chalon9
Angler
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2026 2:53 pm
Location: San Diego
Been thanked: 3 times

Hurricane Effect on Charter fishing out of SD?

Post by chalon9 »

Hey all,
I was planning to o my first ever overnight charter boat out of Point Loma this upcoming Tuesday evening to Wednesday night, but now I see that the hurricane off he coast may be making landfall over the weekend. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience on how this will affect the prospective trip for me?

It is my first time doing anything more than a 1/2 day, so I am willing to wait if this may make the conditions unfavorable for fishing.

Related, but does anyone have any thoughts for how long this fishing boom from El Nino may last? I really want to catch my first yellowtail, tuna, etc before it ends! Thanks!
User avatar
foulhook
Extreme Angler
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu May 11, 2023 1:29 pm
Location: Elsinore
Has thanked: 254 times
Been thanked: 167 times

Re: Hurricane Effect on Charter fishing out of SD?

Post by foulhook »

I have been going on 1.5 to 2 day trips every 2 weeks for the last 2 months. The hurricane if any effect will hurt where you fish or cancel trip. But an overnight trip should not be bad. It usually only hurts boats going way out west, you should be fine. The boats will know where to go based on the weather that day. What boat are you going on?
User avatar
foulhook
Extreme Angler
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu May 11, 2023 1:29 pm
Location: Elsinore
Has thanked: 254 times
Been thanked: 167 times

Re: Hurricane Effect on Charter fishing out of SD?

Post by foulhook »

Everyday on YouTube Friedman Adventures gives an update on weather and what each boat will be targeting. Also the landings will have tons of information too
chalon9
Angler
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2026 2:53 pm
Location: San Diego
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Hurricane Effect on Charter fishing out of SD?

Post by chalon9 »

@foulhook Sorry for the late response! I have not yet bought it, but my plan was for the Old Glory out of H&M, I have been following the fish reports and they seem to have been having the most luck. I was hoping to go the night of Tuesday the 13th and return Wednesday night. I seem to be reading mixed opinions on this, with some saying it will be clear by then, some saying the fish will not be biting due to the storm but overall conditions will be okay, and some saying that the wave swells could be up to like 7 feet (which is a bit much for my taste).

For what its worth, i emailed both H&M and Point Loma Sportfishing, they both told me that charters have been cancelled for Sunday, but that they are keeping an eye on conditons for later in the week
User avatar
foulhook
Extreme Angler
Posts: 253
Joined: Thu May 11, 2023 1:29 pm
Location: Elsinore
Has thanked: 254 times
Been thanked: 167 times

Re: Hurricane Effect on Charter fishing out of SD?

Post by foulhook »

Old Glory is a good boat, Kley is a good captain
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests