Lake Mary and Convict
-
MaxZmus
- Mega Pro Angler
- Posts: 124
- Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:20 pm
- Has thanked: 468 times
- Been thanked: 132 times
Lake Mary and Convict
First off I just want to thank everyone that chimed in and gave me some pointers. We stayed at the Limelight hotel which was just down the road from Lake Mary, George, Twin, Mamie, and Horshoe. After driving around and just eye balling around we settled on fishing Lake Mary. It was the easiest lake to access. You can drive around the entire lake and park right next to the water or a quick walk to the water from the road. There was plenty of shoreline and we found a spot next to an inlet. I guess you could say I was overthinking it when in actuality stocked trout behave pretty much the same no matter where they are. You could see fish coming up to eat bugs all day but getting one to hit a spoon or spinner was tough for me at least. We caught all of our fish on Carolina rigs with water bobbers and mice tails. The morning bite was wide open for the first hour or so. We would catch 3 to 4 within that hour then the bite tapered off until the evening. I tubed Convict by myself on day two in the morning and was only able to get three little guys on mice tails. Once again, I couldn’t buy a bite to save my life on lures. I threw everything I had, 1/32 Berkley mini jigs, Hook Up Baits, JDM spoons from 1.3-2.4grams in various colors, Thomas Bouyants, Mooks, etc. fish were jumping all around but they wouldn’t touch my presentations except the mice tails. I packed it up and 11am and went back with the wife and kid so my wife can hike around the lake while my son and I fished. This time I decided to pick up a few dry flies at the store and it paid off. I fished it on the same Carolina rigged water bobber set up and only filled up the bobber half way so they would float. A slow steady stop and go retrieve produced four strikes but only two hook ups. My son got the first one and it seemed like all the fish were tiny 9-10inchers. My wife took my son to the restroom and of course that’s when my bigger one hit. I called it the “lake monster” because this guy had broken off two other anglers before me. I wounded up giving the fish to the people that took my picture. We only had a few hours to fish before checking out on the final morning so we decided to hit Mary and it was like clock work. Same bite same fish. Got 5 and missed a few more to end our Eastern Sierra adventure. We’ll be back for sure!
- foulhook
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 252
- Joined: Thu May 11, 2023 1:29 pm
- Location: Elsinore
- Has thanked: 254 times
- Been thanked: 165 times
Re: Lake Mary and Convict
Sounds like an awesome trip, the Eastern Sierra has a ton of lake to explore and fish.
-
Moose
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 316
- Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:53 pm
- Has thanked: 68 times
- Been thanked: 627 times
Re: Lake Mary and Convict
Sounds like a great trip with the family! I love Convict, its such a beautiful lake!
-
MaxZmus
- Mega Pro Angler
- Posts: 124
- Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:20 pm
- Has thanked: 468 times
- Been thanked: 132 times
Re: Lake Mary and Convict
Yes! I was shocked to see so many lakes all connected to each other or just a few minute drive apart. I can’t wait to go back.foulhook wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 6:58 am Sounds like an awesome trip, the Eastern Sierra has a ton of lake to explore and fish.
-
MaxZmus
- Mega Pro Angler
- Posts: 124
- Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:20 pm
- Has thanked: 468 times
- Been thanked: 132 times
Re: Lake Mary and Convict
Out of all the lakes I stopped by, I thought Convict had the best scenery. I’d like to see it in the late winter to spring when the mountains are capped with snow. All the more reason to go back up.Moose wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:07 am Sounds like a great trip with the family! I love Convict, its such a beautiful lake!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests