The Fukushima Ceiling Fan, the $2.50 Trailer & the Corn-Garlic Incident

Fishing reports from Los Angeles County.
Post Reply
User avatar
DarkShadow
Extreme Angler
Posts: 578
Joined: Thu May 25, 2023 11:52 am
Location: East Los Angeles
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 526 times

The Fukushima Ceiling Fan, the $2.50 Trailer & the Corn-Garlic Incident

Post by DarkShadow »

Image

You guys ever use Corn and Garlic Zeke's Trout Dough for Spotted Bass?

Saturday's neap tide had me itching to experiment, but Zeke's floating trout dough was not on the list, but it got thrown.

A big ass 3/4 ounce spinnerblade with flourescent chartreuese green willow leaf blades. Check.

Image

A 1/2 ounce Shimano Maki Rubber uh, swim jig? Check.

https://www.socalangler.com/wp-content/ ... MDR919.mp4

Image

Image

And I finally solved my trailer dilemma, but created another one in its place.

Image

Donated my share of tungsten to the piling as well.

https://www.socalangler.com/wp-content/ ... eakOff.mp4

Just another day on the big pond.

Check out the report: https://www.socalangler.com/the-fukushi ... -incident/
User avatar
kastmaster
Extreme Angler
Posts: 277
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2026 7:17 pm
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 454 times
Been thanked: 333 times

Re: The Fukushima Ceiling Fan, the $2.50 Trailer & the Corn-Garlic Incident

Post by kastmaster »

Entertaining session!
vito1023
Extreme Angler
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:34 am
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 461 times
Been thanked: 199 times

Re: The Fukushima Ceiling Fan, the $2.50 Trailer & the Corn-Garlic Incident

Post by vito1023 »

I love when you fishing when it’s not suppose to be good and you catch fish.
And it’s even better when you use something new that makes it even better.
Great job as always
User avatar
Gotfish?
Extreme Angler
Posts: 806
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:43 pm
Has thanked: 1005 times
Been thanked: 646 times

Re: The Fukushima Ceiling Fan, the $2.50 Trailer & the Corn-Garlic Incident

Post by Gotfish? »

Try corn on the cob with garlic butter, you may decide you like the smell. Maybe not enough to eat trout bait though.

I hate it when the 1st cast of the day gets a nice fish, you get a smile on your face expecting a good bite and that is the last fish for a couple of hours.

Bargain bin and close out lures have been some of my favorites. But I also feel nervous about losing a winner lure, knowing I can't get it anymore.
User avatar
DarkShadow
Extreme Angler
Posts: 578
Joined: Thu May 25, 2023 11:52 am
Location: East Los Angeles
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 526 times

Re: The Fukushima Ceiling Fan, the $2.50 Trailer & the Corn-Garlic Incident

Post by DarkShadow »

kastmaster wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2026 1:42 pm Entertaining session!
It's never a dull moment at the pond, and when you're getting consistent action to the point you leave them biting, it definitely beats beating the $hit outta my local freshwater pond to compete for the 20 10 inch fish that are left, thanks to our community's following Kwin's advice and 'selectively harvesting' all the bass :-D
vito1023 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2026 7:35 am I love when you fishing when it’s not suppose to be good and you catch fish.
Yeah, i looked at the tide for that day and wondered, "WTF."

I've been paying attention to the tide as of late, getting timestamps of when I caught a better fish and putting it along a graph to see if I find any type of patterns. Regardless, the tide doesn't dictate anything I actually do until I actually get there.

I just know it does play a big role in when I get my bites, but I still haven't been able to ascertain anything except the plainly obvious 'the bite gets better when the water is moving' theory. This was that day's chart:

Image
Gotfish? wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2026 10:36 am Try corn on the cob with garlic butter, you may decide you like the smell. Maybe not enough to eat trout bait though.

I hate it when the 1st cast of the day gets a nice fish, you get a smile on your face expecting a good bite and that is the last fish for a couple of hours.

Bargain bin and close out lures have been some of my favorites. But I also feel nervous about losing a winner lure, knowing I can't get it anymore.
Yeah, I've reached the point of my fishing career, where I have a few baits that I know I can no longer replace. But, I realized how much that 'fear of losing $hit' prevented me actually throwing these baits. I keep them under lock and key like these baits were the Hope Diamond or something. When I told someone "What if I lose it?" they responded with the most Buddhist response of, "You should not have emotional attachment to inanimate objects that can be gone in a matter of a hang up. You may lose it forever, but you may discover a new favorite bait."

I still yell obscenities when I lose irreplaceable stuff tho.

And that 2nd bite curse is more of a freshwater trait for me. You'll have a blow up on topwater on your second cast of the day, and then proceed to throw the topwater for the next 5 hours, resulting in zero bites. The good thing about these spotties is that they'll eat anything. I caught one the other day that had a chicken bone in it's gullet.

Bendo
Extreme Angler
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2024 10:24 am
Location: Anaheim and everywhere
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 343 times

Re: The Fukushima Ceiling Fan, the $2.50 Trailer & the Corn-Garlic Incident

Post by Bendo »

Powerbait is my go to Jacksmelt bait. Those Big Jacksmelt are candy bait for big Calicos, Local Yellowtail, Threshers, and Halibut. They are also a blast to catch on ultralight spinning gear and two pound test. They also stay alive in the Bait Tank all day.
User avatar
DarkShadow
Extreme Angler
Posts: 578
Joined: Thu May 25, 2023 11:52 am
Location: East Los Angeles
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 526 times

Re: The Fukushima Ceiling Fan, the $2.50 Trailer & the Corn-Garlic Incident

Post by DarkShadow »

Bendo wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2026 3:12 pm Powerbait is my go to Jacksmelt bait.
One of the craziest uses of Powerbait that I've seen involved two buddies of mine and a bag of Ritz bits.

Image

One buddy got sick of my other buddy eating all his snacks whenever we went on trips, so, he grabbed a few of these Ritz bits, twisted them apart, took the cheese out, and replaced it with this.

Image

He then put them back in the bag and as expected, my other buddy goes to town on them.

"The cheese tastes a little rancid"

Sure does, you Trouser Trout.
Bendo wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2026 3:12 pm Those Big Jacksmelt are candy bait for big Calicos, Local Yellowtail, Threshers, and Halibut. They are also a blast to catch on ultralight spinning gear and two pound test. They also stay alive in the Bait Tank all day.
I've seen exactly one float tube with a home made bait tank. They used one of those pool noodles and a mesh laundry bag and was dragging behind them. Pretty interesting contraption. I'd hate to see if you ran into a hungry seal or an over achieving sea gull tho.
Bendo
Extreme Angler
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2024 10:24 am
Location: Anaheim and everywhere
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 343 times

Re: The Fukushima Ceiling Fan, the $2.50 Trailer & the Corn-Garlic Incident

Post by Bendo »

I strap a bucket to the side of my Tube with a few holes in it. A five gallon Bucket will hole a half scoop for a while, if you can split that in two, you can keep them all in good shape. We drag Sardines around Dana Point Harbor landing Halibut from 10 inches to 28 pounds. Slow drag and hop. Let them hold it and swim away. When they stop, give them a three count and wind down into the Sand Grouper. I use 4/0 Mustad Circle Hooks, three feet of 20 Flourocarbon , Egg Sinker and a Ball Bearimg swivel. Fish it hard and make them bite.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests