Bass Pro Shops
- 858NOVICE
- Angler
- Posts: 39
- Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:55 am
- Has thanked: 2 times
- Been thanked: 37 times
Bass Pro Shops
BPS will be coming to San Diego in the Grossmont Center they started construction in Jan. I hope our local tackle shops can still continue to stay open.
"There is no substitute for time on the water"
- DarkShadow
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 591
- Joined: Thu May 25, 2023 11:52 am
- Location: East Los Angeles
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 532 times
Re: Bass Pro Shops
If local shops have even a single brain cell to rub together, they shouldn’t be worried. To put it bluntly: Bass Pro sucks. Their stock is garbage because they try to carry everything and fail at all of it. Their inventory is a mile wide and an inch deep. Anybody who have visited the two SoCal locations will agree.858NOVICE wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2026 11:31 am I hope our local tackle shops can still continue to stay open.
Specialized shops will have zero issues. Sure, if your business plan stops at selling basic Mustad bait holders, nightcrawlers, Power Bait and lead weights, maybe start sweating. But Bass Pro isn't carrying Decoy hooks or Sunline Shooter. They sell the illusion of fishing; local shops sell the actual gear, and the local know how.
I only go to Bass Pro to treat the fish tank like a giant enclosure of stray cats. Just tapping the glass and going PSSP PSSP PSSP for an hour trying to get the giant catfish to come over. And personally, I can't wait for Bass Pro SD to hire some SD ChillBro Millennial whose entire product knowledge begins and ends with pushing Hookup Baits on unsuspecting tourists who are only there to look at the taxidermy and the gun cases, and buy a $5 hat.
- Swings are free
- Angler
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:30 pm
- Has thanked: 323 times
- Been thanked: 15 times
-
Carpkiller
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 464
- Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:10 pm
- Has thanked: 147 times
- Been thanked: 464 times
Re: Bass Pro Shops
Feeling Triggered...
I went to Balboa Island and laid in the sand,
I may be ugly as hell but at least now I'm tan....
I may be ugly as hell but at least now I'm tan....
- DarkShadow
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 591
- Joined: Thu May 25, 2023 11:52 am
- Location: East Los Angeles
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 532 times
Re: Bass Pro Shops
What's up with BassPro hats being fashion accessories for people who would hold a spinning setup upside down?
They out here treating a five-dollar trucker hat like it's a limited-drop Supreme beanie, terrified of getting a single drop of sweat on the brim while they make videos in their mom's driveway.
-
monstahfish
- Pro Angler
- Posts: 87
- Joined: Wed May 03, 2023 11:25 am
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 52 times
Re: Bass Pro Shops
Truer words have never been spoken. I agree with the others. BPS is good for a bulk pack of knockoff senkos, but they never carry the specialty stuff I'm looking for. They will be carrying the full line of Hobies soon though since they bought them over the winter so that will bring the kayak crowd in but I already have mine. It's taken them a while to ramp up cause they're trying to ensure top quality so that should be good for the brand.
[/quote]
What's up with BassPro hats being fashion accessories for people who would hold a spinning setup upside down?
They out here treating a five-dollar trucker hat like it's a limited-drop Supreme beanie, terrified of getting a single drop of sweat on the brim while they make videos in their mom's driveway.
[/quote]
[/quote]
What's up with BassPro hats being fashion accessories for people who would hold a spinning setup upside down?
They out here treating a five-dollar trucker hat like it's a limited-drop Supreme beanie, terrified of getting a single drop of sweat on the brim while they make videos in their mom's driveway.
[/quote]
- Gotfish?
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 809
- Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:43 pm
- Has thanked: 1007 times
- Been thanked: 649 times
Re: Bass Pro Shops
Walmart: watch out! Bass Pro is aiming for you.
Still fun to visit, not as much as it was 25 years ago.
Still fun to visit, not as much as it was 25 years ago.
- DarkShadow
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 591
- Joined: Thu May 25, 2023 11:52 am
- Location: East Los Angeles
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 532 times
Re: Bass Pro Shops
Iiiiiiiiiiiiii don't think Walmart has anything to worry about.
Honestly, Bass Pro is a world-class tourist destination for people visiting from overseas. Where else on God's green earth can you buy a singing bass for your living room wall, buy a giant bucket of stale buttered popcorn, buy a mesh hat made in China with an American flag emblazoned on it, shoot some guns, and buy a shotgun in the same afternoon?
It’s a magical wonderland where you can walk in for a pack of terminal tackle and somehow walk out with a 10-pound tub of candied pecans, a jar of moonshine-flavored hot sauce, a pair of hunter orange overalls for a toddler, a John Wayne tin sign, a camo-patterned recliner, and a pontoon boat. You get to marvel at a mountain of taxidermy, buy a mailbox shaped like a largemouth bass, AND tap the glass on the giant aquarium until the security guard yells at you!
Too bad their actual fishing section absolutely blows.
- Gotfish?
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 809
- Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:43 pm
- Has thanked: 1007 times
- Been thanked: 649 times
Re: Bass Pro Shops
I have been told that the Bass Pro in the Phoenix area has an entire aisle devoted to AR-15 accessories. You won't get that in Europe.
-
Carpkiller
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 464
- Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:10 pm
- Has thanked: 147 times
- Been thanked: 464 times
Re: Bass Pro Shops
I never really got the whole limited drop supreme beanie thing....DarkShadow wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2026 10:46 amWhat's up with BassPro hats being fashion accessories for people who would hold a spinning setup upside down?
They out here treating a five-dollar trucker hat like it's a limited-drop Supreme beanie, terrified of getting a single drop of sweat on the brim while they make videos in their mom's driveway.
But to each his own.
I always found the terminal tackle I needed at BPS...basic stuff for a basic guy I guess.
Also bought a few clothing items from their sale racks. Not sure how often I'd visit the one at Grossmont Center...or whether it'll generate the foot traffic to justify the rent they're gonna have to pay.
I went to Balboa Island and laid in the sand,
I may be ugly as hell but at least now I'm tan....
I may be ugly as hell but at least now I'm tan....
-
Moose
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 316
- Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:53 pm
- Has thanked: 68 times
- Been thanked: 627 times
Re: Bass Pro Shops
I will always support the local shops and they have baits and items that are specific to our local lakes but I also love me some BPS!! There are definitely baits that you can get there that you don't get in the local shops plus its just fun to browse all of the stuff they carry in their store, not just fishing gear.
I just hope that its not a small one like the Irvine store is. If its like the Rancho Cucamonga store, that will be sweet.
I just hope that its not a small one like the Irvine store is. If its like the Rancho Cucamonga store, that will be sweet.
-
Carpkiller
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 464
- Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:10 pm
- Has thanked: 147 times
- Been thanked: 464 times
Re: Bass Pro Shops
There may be market forces at work that BPS hasn't considered.
Such as...will the shoplifters that ran the El Cajon Wal-Mart out of town migrate to Grossmont Center to ply their craft?
If so, will the tax incentives offered by the city of La Mesa offset the "inventory shrinkage?"
Such as...will the shoplifters that ran the El Cajon Wal-Mart out of town migrate to Grossmont Center to ply their craft?
If so, will the tax incentives offered by the city of La Mesa offset the "inventory shrinkage?"
I went to Balboa Island and laid in the sand,
I may be ugly as hell but at least now I'm tan....
I may be ugly as hell but at least now I'm tan....
- foulhook
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 252
- Joined: Thu May 11, 2023 1:29 pm
- Location: Elsinore
- Has thanked: 254 times
- Been thanked: 167 times
Re: Bass Pro Shops
I went to the restaurant the other day and spent 100 dollars for me and my son. Honestly, I did not like the meal. Bass Pro shop itself was a lot better than I remembered. It was way more set up for southern California than I remember.
- VinnyBass
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 2125
- Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:32 pm
- Has thanked: 2823 times
- Been thanked: 3430 times
Re: Bass Pro Shops
Me and the wife before Covid hit used to go up there once a month or every other month to the BPS in Rancho Cucamongafoulhook wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2026 8:18 pm I went to the restaurant the other day and spent 100 dollars for me and my son. Honestly, I did not like the meal. Bass Pro shop itself was a lot better than I remembered. It was way more set up for southern California than I remember.
and she really enjoyed going there. My buddy Joe and I would fish in the morning and then I would get home in the early
afternoon and ask her what she wanted to do and my buddy told me how lucky I was as she would say do you want to go up
to the Bass Pro shop? He said his wife would never ask that in a million years...ha ha I could shop and buy fishing stuff and s
he would pick up a few things and then we would eat there at the restaurant. Back then the food was good and not too
expensive. Then after Covid hit we slowed down going up there because the restaurant was closed and things just changed
a lot as you know. We stay usually 4 nights at the Silverton Casino each year in Vegas which is connected to the Bass Pro
Shop but I usually do not spend too much time in there as in the past but on our last day when I suddenly have the urge
to buy a bunch of stuff. Ha ha
It is still a fun place and will be nice to have one here.
<º)))><..<º)))><..<º)))><........<º)))><.. )º)))><
-
Kenroe
- Pro Angler
- Posts: 54
- Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:15 am
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 18 times
- Been thanked: 46 times
Re: Bass Pro Shops
Undercut their price point, offer more specific gear to this area.858NOVICE wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2026 11:31 am BPS will be coming to San Diego in the Grossmont Center they started construction in Jan. I hope our local tackle shops can still continue to stay open.
Many people prefer to support small local businesses over corporate businesses.
-
sdjiricek
- Angler
- Posts: 21
- Joined: Fri May 19, 2023 5:50 pm
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 8 times
- Been thanked: 11 times
Re: Bass Pro Shops
They have a few things I use but can't get locally. Pompano rigs (works well in the local surf), Colored casting bubbles, Sputnik weights, And they usually have a well stocked trout section.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests