Skunked at Wolhford (Bank Fishing)

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
Post Reply
BankBeater
Angler
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 10, 2026 9:53 pm
Location: San Diego
Been thanked: 6 times

Skunked at Wolhford (Bank Fishing)

Post by BankBeater »

Yesterday, I decided to check out Lake Wolhford. For this fishing trip I challenged myself to a plastic bait finesse only, and completely skunked. I knew this lake is notorious for having murky waters but I wasn't expecting it to be that murky! I fished the east side of the lake and walked to the nearest rock pile available. I stayed there scanning the area's I could reach, and casted just to every structure I could reach. There were about half a dozen boats out during those couple hours I fished, and from what I could see were casting spinner baits, swimbaits, top water, and not one boater caught a fish during those couple of hours.

That being said, this body was water is completely new to me, and a skunk day is always a learning day. Looking back I seemed to have used the correct color baits (black/blue dark contrasted), but can't help but think I could have done something different. Has anyone fished Lake Wolhford and had a day full of fish, what worked for you and what didn't?
User avatar
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler
Posts: 2125
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:32 pm
Has thanked: 2823 times
Been thanked: 3430 times

Re: Skunked at Wolhford (Bank Fishing)

Post by VinnyBass »

Wow… there is a lake not many talk about. It’s tough to go to a lake not knowing what exactly may be working best. And when you see a number of boats and guys fishing and nobody catching anything, you’re pretty much know you’re probably not doing anything wrong. Sometimes it’s just very tough fishing at times. Yeah, I would be throwing dark baits also if the water was murky like you said if I was there. Have not fished there in several decades and would just be doing the same as you did if i was shore pounding. I’ve seen pics of some big bass caught up there during the winter months on swim baits but that’s the only Intel I know. Anyway, thanks for sharing and hopefully someone will respond if there’s something that seems to work
for them up there.
<º)))><..<º)))><..<º)))><........<º)))><.. )º)))><
User avatar
JWall
Extreme Angler
Posts: 986
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:24 pm
Has thanked: 3402 times
Been thanked: 1239 times

Re: Skunked at Wolhford (Bank Fishing)

Post by JWall »

Wohlford is always tough and you are lucky you didn’t lose a bunch of tackle to the rock demons. Can’t say I go much after they shut down private boats AND private trolling motors. Did shore pound some nice trout from there after a stock a few years back.
BankBeater
Angler
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 10, 2026 9:53 pm
Location: San Diego
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Skunked at Wolhford (Bank Fishing)

Post by BankBeater »

JWall wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2026 8:53 pm Wohlford is always tough and you are lucky you didn’t lose a bunch of tackle to the rock demons. Can’t say I go much after they shut down private boats AND private trolling motors. Did shore pound some nice trout from there after a stock a few years back.
I lost about 2 baits to the rock demons, so it's no biggie. It definitely feels like a lake where you have to work for it. The heats coming so I probably won't head out to Woflford until summer is over.
User avatar
Spektrum
Mega Pro Angler
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu May 02, 2024 11:18 pm
Location: Escondido
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 229 times

Re: Skunked at Wolhford (Bank Fishing)

Post by Spektrum »

Sounds all very accurate for Wolhford. The lack of shore access makes it very frustrating to fish. Rattle snakes all over the place as well.

Float tubing would be a game changer on that lake, maybe one day.
risentidefishing
Pro Angler
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:30 pm
Been thanked: 171 times

Re: Skunked at Wolhford (Bank Fishing)

Post by risentidefishing »

I would rent a bass boat next time. They are only 45$ after 1pm. There is usually a decent deep crankbait bite on rockpiles in the summer time. Should be able to get a few bites on frogs and flipping the tules as well
risentidefishing
Pro Angler
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:30 pm
Been thanked: 171 times

Re: Skunked at Wolhford (Bank Fishing)

Post by risentidefishing »

I would rent a bass boat next time. They are only 45$ after 1pm. There is usually a decent deep crankbait bite on rockpiles in the summer time. Should be able to get a few bites on frogs and flipping the tules as well
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest