Mission Bay | Jul 1 + Help
- fglover
- Angler
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2026 9:13 pm
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 17 times
- Been thanked: 9 times
Mission Bay | Jul 1 + Help
Started the day at 4P.M. and fished for around 2 hours racking up a total of 2 very small calicos for myself (thank you man in the boat who told me exactly where to cast). Sadly my friend didn't get anything. He was using a jerkbait and I was using a metal jig.
I'm also quite new to (San Diego) fishing and I don't have any water transport, so I do everything from shore. Everything I've caught in mission bay is super small! Am I fishing the wrong area's or is mission bay just full of smaller fish?
Sorry this is my first post here just looking for cool people and to share a love for fishing
I'm also quite new to (San Diego) fishing and I don't have any water transport, so I do everything from shore. Everything I've caught in mission bay is super small! Am I fishing the wrong area's or is mission bay just full of smaller fish?
Sorry this is my first post here just looking for cool people and to share a love for fishing
- Attachments
-
-
Nelson 1
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 213
- Joined: Wed May 24, 2023 11:06 pm
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 415 times
- Been thanked: 280 times
Re: Mission Bay | Jul 1 + Help
Mission Bay can be tough from shore. I believe a lot of spots in Mission Bay can get overfish. I would try somewhere like Spanish landing or Harbor island.
- Socalspartan
- Pro Angler
- Posts: 53
- Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2025 7:38 am
- Location: Carlsbad
- Has thanked: 285 times
- Been thanked: 66 times
Re: Mission Bay | Jul 1 + Help
Check out Seaforth boat rental. They have skiffs that are $75 half day and $95 full day. Rental locations on Mission and San Diego Bay.
https://seaforthboatrental.com/fishing-boat/bay-skiff/
https://seaforthboatrental.com/fishing-boat/bay-skiff/
- Midnightpass
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 1130
- Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:02 am
- Location: La Mirada
- Has thanked: 827 times
- Been thanked: 639 times
Re: Mission Bay | Jul 1 + Help
Welcome to the forum... I don't fish the bay, so I can't be of much help... Good luck...
Butch
Butch
-
lazyfisherman
- Angler
- Posts: 13
- Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:55 pm
- Has thanked: 6 times
- Been thanked: 2 times
Re: Mission Bay | Jul 1 + Help
Try using 1/4 - 3/8 oz texas rigged Gulp Jerkshads in Nuclear Chicken or New penny. Also try from sandy shorelines with access to eel grass. 1/4 oz jigheads with 3 inch swimbaits fished slowly through the eel grass has worked great as well.
Dana Landing also has skiff rentals. Ski beach as well as the point directly across from Dana Landing off of Vacation island has been decent spots in the past.
https://www.actionsportrentals.com/dana-landing-marina/
Dana Landing also has skiff rentals. Ski beach as well as the point directly across from Dana Landing off of Vacation island has been decent spots in the past.
https://www.actionsportrentals.com/dana-landing-marina/
- fglover
- Angler
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2026 9:13 pm
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 17 times
- Been thanked: 9 times
Re: Mission Bay | Jul 1 + Help
Thanks for the suggestions!
I definitely want to try to rent a skiff or something one day, sadly it is definitely a good chunk of cash for me to rent. I'll definitely try some other spots around mission bay. Jerkshads definitely look really fun to fish.
I'll also keep hitting the surf with metals, stickbaits, and paddletails, etc. Really want to hook up at the surf eventually.

I definitely want to try to rent a skiff or something one day, sadly it is definitely a good chunk of cash for me to rent. I'll definitely try some other spots around mission bay. Jerkshads definitely look really fun to fish.
I'll also keep hitting the surf with metals, stickbaits, and paddletails, etc. Really want to hook up at the surf eventually.
-
Nelson 1
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 213
- Joined: Wed May 24, 2023 11:06 pm
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 415 times
- Been thanked: 280 times
Re: Mission Bay | Jul 1 + Help
I will tell you one of my spots I like to fish. Santa Clara point. Go to the north parking lot. Looking east there is a wall that goes around the point. You can fish there. Incoming tide is your best time. Have not been there in a long time. It was pretty good fishing. Morning before it gets crowded.fglover wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2026 11:40 am Thanks for the suggestions!
I definitely want to try to rent a skiff or something one day, sadly it is definitely a good chunk of cash for me to rent. I'll definitely try some other spots around mission bay. Jerkshads definitely look really fun to fish.
I'll also keep hitting the surf with metals, stickbaits, and paddletails, etc. Really want to hook up at the surf eventually.
![]()
-
Jussdone805
- Pro Angler
- Posts: 70
- Joined: Wed May 03, 2023 7:09 pm
- Has thanked: 135 times
- Been thanked: 83 times
Re: Mission Bay | Jul 1 + Help
I caught a massive spotty at that same spot, company summer party at the Tower Beach Club. Fresh mussels plucked from the wall as bait, and sure enough it was the incoming tide. DO NOT try to walk down the stairs by the lawn, they are like ice mixed with snot and you will do a looney tunes slip and fall! My left index finger will always be slightly numb from the nerve damage I got from tumbling down.Nelson 1 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2026 12:12 pmI will tell you one of my spots I like to fish. Santa Clara point. Go to the north parking lot. Looking east there is a wall that goes around the point. You can fish there. Incoming tide is your best time. Have not been there in a long time. It was pretty good fishing. Morning before it gets crowded.fglover wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2026 11:40 am Thanks for the suggestions!
I definitely want to try to rent a skiff or something one day, sadly it is definitely a good chunk of cash for me to rent. I'll definitely try some other spots around mission bay. Jerkshads definitely look really fun to fish.
I'll also keep hitting the surf with metals, stickbaits, and paddletails, etc. Really want to hook up at the surf eventually.
![]()
- kastmaster
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 281
- Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2026 7:17 pm
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 470 times
- Been thanked: 334 times
Re: Mission Bay | Jul 1 + Help
I've done ok with small calico bass and spotted bass on kastmasters at Ventura Pt. There is a lot of fishing pressure there, many people live in their vehicles there and fish. You have to slow down your retrieve on metal lures there to get bites.
- Midnightpass
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 1130
- Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:02 am
- Location: La Mirada
- Has thanked: 827 times
- Been thanked: 639 times
Re: Mission Bay | Jul 1 + Help
I haven’t fished SD bays, but have up here in LA/OC…. My go to was ghost shrimp and blood worms…. I’m more of a bait guy than lure anyway, but they have been productive for me…. What do fish eat?.. Crustaceans, worm and fin fish… Not so much, plastic, wood or metal….
Butch
Butch
-
galen
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 216
- Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:52 am
- Has thanked: 385 times
- Been thanked: 173 times
Re: Mission Bay | Jul 1 + Help
Something else to consider. Larger bass will regularly move in closer to shore after dark when they feel safer. Gotta be real careful on the rocks though.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests