Help deciding please...

Largemouth, smallmouth, or striped bass...talk about bass fishing specific topics here.
User avatar
tomnilll
Extreme Angler
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon May 15, 2023 9:36 am
Location: Oceanside
Has thanked: 399 times
Been thanked: 682 times

Help deciding please...

Post by tomnilll »

Been on the struggle buss lately and keep 2nd guessing my choices...so, I am asking you all where should I fish this Saturday morning? (from shore of course)?

Choices:

1. El Cap
2. Murray
3. D&K
4. Other

Appreciate the help, thanks in advance.

Tom
User avatar
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler
Posts: 2125
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:32 pm
Has thanked: 2823 times
Been thanked: 3430 times

Re: Help deciding please...

Post by VinnyBass »

tomnilll wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2026 7:57 pm Been on the struggle buss lately and keep 2nd guessing my choices...so, I am asking you all where should I fish this Saturday morning? (from shore of course)?

Choices:

1. El Cap
2. Murray
3. D&K
4. Other

Appreciate the help, thanks in advance.

Tom
Go to El cap, but you better go early cause it may crowded
<º)))><..<º)))><..<º)))><........<º)))><.. )º)))><
User avatar
JWall
Extreme Angler
Posts: 986
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:24 pm
Has thanked: 3402 times
Been thanked: 1239 times

Re: Help deciding please...

Post by JWall »

El Cap was always my 2nd choice SD lake for numbers after Barrett. Which is why its so infuriating to have the launch ramp out of the water. Go there!
User avatar
DarkShadow
Extreme Angler
Posts: 591
Joined: Thu May 25, 2023 11:52 am
Location: East Los Angeles
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 532 times

Re: Help deciding please...

Post by DarkShadow »

4. Other

Go fish the salt. Lots of willing participants.
User avatar
tomnilll
Extreme Angler
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon May 15, 2023 9:36 am
Location: Oceanside
Has thanked: 399 times
Been thanked: 682 times

Re: Help deciding please...

Post by tomnilll »

Thanks for the advice...@VinnyBass went to El Cap and took a long walk...first time all the way to the dam! Was a slow start but managed to land 10 on a variety of baits...some examples...
Attachments
20260627_125625.jpg
20260627_123233.jpg
20260627_101830.jpg
20260627_062438.jpg
20260627_125121.jpg
User avatar
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler
Posts: 2125
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:32 pm
Has thanked: 2823 times
Been thanked: 3430 times

Re: Help deciding please...

Post by VinnyBass »

tomnilll wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2026 9:52 am Thanks for the advice...@VinnyBass went to El Cap and took a long walk...first time all the way to the dam! Was a slow start but managed to land 10 on a variety of baits...some examples...
Excelllent!
Glad it worked out and thanks for sharing. :-)
<º)))><..<º)))><..<º)))><........<º)))><.. )º)))><
User avatar
professionull
Extreme Angler
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:17 am
Location: Poway
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 137 times

Re: Help deciding please...

Post by professionull »

Cool, didn't know you're allowed to fish the dam at El Cap even though I rarely go there anymore
User avatar
KillinTime
Extreme Angler
Posts: 653
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:06 pm
Has thanked: 607 times
Been thanked: 635 times

Re: Help deciding please...

Post by KillinTime »

I thought past the buoy line was closed to fishing? That maybe way it got better for you as you continued on....

Nice work on landing 10
Moose
Extreme Angler
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:53 pm
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 627 times

Re: Help deciding please...

Post by Moose »

KillinTime wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2026 2:11 pm I thought past the buoy line was closed to fishing? That maybe way it got better for you as you continued on....

Nice work on landing 10
Agreed, I believe that area is closed to fishing but I could be wrong.
User avatar
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler
Posts: 2125
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:32 pm
Has thanked: 2823 times
Been thanked: 3430 times

Re: Help deciding please...

Post by VinnyBass »

Between the buoys and the dam has been closed to fishing for decades at El Cap. Probably no city workers to enforce it.
Any City lake in San Diego that has buoys between them and the dam means that area is closed.
<º)))><..<º)))><..<º)))><........<º)))><.. )º)))><
User avatar
Fisheromen
Extreme Angler
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:53 pm
Location: Ramona
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 485 times

Re: Help deciding please...

Post by Fisheromen »

Knock, knock, knock... Hello! I'm from DFG!
Kenroe
Pro Angler
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:15 am
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: Help deciding please...

Post by Kenroe »

Nice job on 10 fish from shore.
Likely you'd only get a warning for fishing beyond the bouy line, particularly if you weren't in possession of any fish & had a valid license.
User avatar
tomnilll
Extreme Angler
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon May 15, 2023 9:36 am
Location: Oceanside
Has thanked: 399 times
Been thanked: 682 times

Re: Help deciding please...

Post by tomnilll »

Well, thanks all for the "advice"! Just spent an hour scouring regulations to find where it says you cannot fish from shore beyond a line of buoys in the water...any help?
User avatar
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler
Posts: 2125
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:32 pm
Has thanked: 2823 times
Been thanked: 3430 times

Re: Help deciding please...

Post by VinnyBass »

tomnilll wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2026 11:31 am Well, thanks all for the "advice"! Just spent an hour scouring regulations to find where it says you cannot fish from shore beyond a line of buoys in the water...any help?
Don't take this wrong...but the buoys basically tell you that beyond them it is a restricted area and the furthest you can go
on the lake if you are fishing in any type of floating craft on the water, so the same would apply to the shore fishermen.
Heck if all shore fishermen could fish between the buoys and the dam, there would be tons of fishermen fishing those areas.
For years I would look over at beyond the buoys at any lake and say wow, I would love to fish over there and I bet there
are a lot of bass near the dam. Several decades ago my buddy and I were in a lake boat at Hodges. I don't know what
happened but we were working the shoreline toward the dam and somehow the buoy line was broke so we just kept on
fishing and got really close to the dam. It was pretty cool and looked very fishy as we never got that close to the dam.
Suddenly one of the city workers who worked the lake came flying up in a boat and told us we could not fish in that area.
Another worker in a boat later came out and they reconnect the buoy line. For me it has always been just known that
the area between the buoy line and the dam is a restricted area otherwise why would there be a buoy line?
<º)))><..<º)))><..<º)))><........<º)))><.. )º)))><
vito1023
Extreme Angler
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:34 am
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 462 times
Been thanked: 203 times

Re: Help deciding please...

Post by vito1023 »

VinnyBass wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2026 6:27 am
tomnilll wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2026 11:31 am Well, thanks all for the "advice"! Just spent an hour scouring regulations to find where it says you cannot fish from shore beyond a line of buoys in the water...any help?
Don't take this wrong...but the buoys basically tell you that beyond them it is a restricted area and the furthest you can go
on the lake if you are fishing in any type of floating craft on the water, so the same would apply to the shore fishermen.
Heck if all shore fishermen could fish between the buoys and the dam, there would be tons of fishermen fishing those areas.
For years I would look over at beyond the buoys at any lake and say wow, I would love to fish over there and I bet there
are a lot of bass near the dam. Several decades ago my buddy and I were in a lake boat at Hodges. I don't know what
happened but we were working the shoreline toward the dam and somehow the buoy line was broke so we just kept on
fishing and got really close to the dam. It was pretty cool and looked very fishy as we never got that close to the dam.
Suddenly one of the city workers who worked the lake came flying up in a boat and told us we could not fish in that area.
Another worker in a boat later came out and they reconnect the buoy line. For me it has always been just known that
the area between the buoy line and the dam is a restricted area otherwise why would there be a buoy line?
Hodges being my favorite lake back in the 70’ my buddies and I would go every Wednesday park our car above the dam and scale down the hill
where there was a spillway next to the buoy lines and it was legal to fish there and we would nail them, the ticket was with a good cast you could reach the ledge where the buoy lines seperated spillway and if you got it past that ledge you caught a bass lots of them we caught them up to 9lbs, Lil George tail spinners were magic as they cast a mile. Later when the water levels were down there wasn’t any water on the spillway we arranged large rocks in areas we could remember to cast to once the water came back up, sadly that didn’t happen (we called them bass hotels) best time of my life fishing.
The last time I fished Barrett, it’s been awhile we were surprised that we never checked out the dam area as that’s our first thing to do on any lake we fished so we checked and we able to fish right on the dam I don’t know if they have changed that and maybe they have buoys up I don’t know?
User avatar
VinnyBass
Extreme Angler
Posts: 2125
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:32 pm
Has thanked: 2823 times
Been thanked: 3430 times

Re: Help deciding please...

Post by VinnyBass »

vito1023 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2026 7:01 am
VinnyBass wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2026 6:27 am
tomnilll wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2026 11:31 am Well, thanks all for the "advice"! Just spent an hour scouring regulations to find where it says you cannot fish from shore beyond a line of buoys in the water...any help?
Don't take this wrong...but the buoys basically tell you that beyond them it is a restricted area and the furthest you can go
on the lake if you are fishing in any type of floating craft on the water, so the same would apply to the shore fishermen.
Heck if all shore fishermen could fish between the buoys and the dam, there would be tons of fishermen fishing those areas.
For years I would look over at beyond the buoys at any lake and say wow, I would love to fish over there and I bet there
are a lot of bass near the dam. Several decades ago my buddy and I were in a lake boat at Hodges. I don't know what
happened but we were working the shoreline toward the dam and somehow the buoy line was broke so we just kept on
fishing and got really close to the dam. It was pretty cool and looked very fishy as we never got that close to the dam.
Suddenly one of the city workers who worked the lake came flying up in a boat and told us we could not fish in that area.
Another worker in a boat later came out and they reconnect the buoy line. For me it has always been just known that
the area between the buoy line and the dam is a restricted area otherwise why would there be a buoy line?
Hodges being my favorite lake back in the 70’ my buddies and I would go every Wednesday park our car above the dam and scale down the hill
where there was a spillway next to the buoy lines and it was legal to fish there and we would nail them, the ticket was with a good cast you could reach the ledge where the buoy lines seperated spillway and if you got it past that ledge you caught a bass lots of them we caught them up to 9lbs, Lil George tail spinners were magic as they cast a mile. Later when the water levels were down there wasn’t any water on the spillway we arranged large rocks in areas we could remember to cast to once the water came back up, sadly that didn’t happen (we called them bass hotels) best time of my life fishing.
The last time I fished Barrett, it’s been awhile we were surprised that we never checked out the dam area as that’s our first thing to do on any lake we fished so we checked and we able to fish right on the dam I don’t know if they have changed that and maybe they have buoys up I don’t know?
Over 50 years ago we also did not have to get a 2 rod stamp and could fish with as many rods as we wanted to. Things
have changed since then, but I do remember the Hodges spillway area and guys catching big bass there.
<º)))><..<º)))><..<º)))><........<º)))><.. )º)))><
User avatar
DarkShadow
Extreme Angler
Posts: 591
Joined: Thu May 25, 2023 11:52 am
Location: East Los Angeles
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 532 times

Re: Help deciding please...

Post by DarkShadow »

8-) I always wondered if there was good fish behind the buoy line.
Rw81
Angler
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2026 1:59 pm
Location: San Diego
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Help deciding please...

Post by Rw81 »

A guy on Instagram got a trespassing ticket for shore fishing past the buoys at el cap. Pretty sure past the buoy line is “federal property”. In lake regulations itll often say you’re not allowed to touch anything involving the dam, ex. Putting trolling motor over buoy line
vito1023
Extreme Angler
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:34 am
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 462 times
Been thanked: 203 times

Re: Help deciding please...

Post by vito1023 »

I’m curious if Barrett has buoys on the dam now, I’ve fished it before and no buoys?
vito1023
Extreme Angler
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:34 am
Location: San Diego
Has thanked: 462 times
Been thanked: 203 times

Re: Help deciding please...

Post by vito1023 »

I’m curious if Barrett has buoys on the dam now, I’ve fished it before and no buoys?
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests