Good budget rod?
- Gotfish?
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 806
- Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:43 pm
- Has thanked: 1005 times
- Been thanked: 647 times
Re: Good budget rod?
The larger diameter line you use, the more the waves and current will push it around and the heavier sinker that will be needed. I would recommend using 10 lb braid connected to a fluorocarbon or mono leader of about 10 lb. You want the egg sinker on the leader since braid is not very abrasion resistant. 3000 size reel is more than big enough for 10 lb braid. You will have a lot more sensitivity with braid too.
The best place to cast is in the troughs, not as far as you can cast. Southern California surf fishing is not like East Coast surf fishing where they make really long casts and they are fishing for large fish like stripers. Fish can be in as little as 1-2' of water.
Tidal currents can flow towards the shore, parallel to the shore or away from the shore (rip tides or rip currents). If you don't like the current in one spot, just walk about 100 yards and it will probably be different. There is least amount of current during slack tide but the bite is slowest then too.
You should be walking up and down the beach anyhow to find the fish, not sitting in a lawn chair.
The best place to cast is in the troughs, not as far as you can cast. Southern California surf fishing is not like East Coast surf fishing where they make really long casts and they are fishing for large fish like stripers. Fish can be in as little as 1-2' of water.
Tidal currents can flow towards the shore, parallel to the shore or away from the shore (rip tides or rip currents). If you don't like the current in one spot, just walk about 100 yards and it will probably be different. There is least amount of current during slack tide but the bite is slowest then too.
You should be walking up and down the beach anyhow to find the fish, not sitting in a lawn chair.
- Perch killer
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 378
- Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:36 am
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 256 times
- Been thanked: 400 times
Re: Good budget rod?
Tough to keep a c rig/ egg sinker in front of you under those kind of swell conditions. Going to have to walk with it to keep it in front of you or change your rig. I'd switch to a high/low setup with probably at least a 2 oz pyramid or sputnik sinker.
- Gotfish?
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 806
- Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:43 pm
- Has thanked: 1005 times
- Been thanked: 647 times
Re: Good budget rod?
The larger diameter line you use, the heavier sinker you will need. Tidal currents can be parallel to shore, incoming or outgoing (rip tide or rip current) and in between. Walk about 100 yards and it will probably change. You should be walking up and down to beach anyhow to find fish. The most productive spots are generally in the troughs. Fish can be as shallow as 1-2', you don't have to make super long casts.
I would use 10 lb braid with a 10 lb leader (mono or fluorocarbon) and put the egg sinker on the leader since braid is not very abrasion resistant. A size 3000 reel is more than big enough with braid.
I would use 10 lb braid with a 10 lb leader (mono or fluorocarbon) and put the egg sinker on the leader since braid is not very abrasion resistant. A size 3000 reel is more than big enough with braid.
-
Andrew_WOT
- Angler
- Posts: 37
- Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2025 8:05 pm
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 79 times
- Been thanked: 45 times
Re: Good budget rod?
All solid recommendations.
Braid typically is not number one choice line for C-Rig as it gets really tangled with the sinker in the surf. Fluoro works much better, Seaguar Tatsu is a solid choice being thinner than most counterparts, can go higher lb and still cast decently.
You can get second spool for your reel and have one with braid for jerkbait, swimbaits, and fluoro for more heavier rigs, like C-Rig, dropper loop, etc.
Braid or fluoro as main line, you can avoid most of the abrasion by using sinkers with plastic insert. E.g. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0F43WYTL2?th=1
Or good quality tungsten weights, except I hate to lose those in snags, lead I don't care, they are cheap.
And start here, you can find answers to most of your questions to be better prepared for your next beach trip. Good luck.
https://surffishingsocalsd.com/
Braid typically is not number one choice line for C-Rig as it gets really tangled with the sinker in the surf. Fluoro works much better, Seaguar Tatsu is a solid choice being thinner than most counterparts, can go higher lb and still cast decently.
You can get second spool for your reel and have one with braid for jerkbait, swimbaits, and fluoro for more heavier rigs, like C-Rig, dropper loop, etc.
Braid or fluoro as main line, you can avoid most of the abrasion by using sinkers with plastic insert. E.g. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0F43WYTL2?th=1
Or good quality tungsten weights, except I hate to lose those in snags, lead I don't care, they are cheap.
And start here, you can find answers to most of your questions to be better prepared for your next beach trip. Good luck.
https://surffishingsocalsd.com/
- Midnightpass
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 1123
- Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:02 am
- Location: La Mirada
- Has thanked: 822 times
- Been thanked: 634 times
Re: Good budget rod?
I haven't seen those plastic inserted weights before... Thanks for posting...Andrew_WOT wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2026 9:32 am All solid recommendations.
Braid typically is not number one choice line for C-Rig as it gets really tangled with the sinker in the surf. Fluoro works much better, Seaguar Tatsu is a solid choice being thinner than most counterparts, can go higher lb and still cast decently.
You can get second spool for your reel and have one with braid for jerkbait, swimbaits, and fluoro for more heavier rigs, like C-Rig, dropper loop, etc.
Braid or fluoro as main line, you can avoid most of the abrasion by using sinkers with plastic insert. E.g. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0F43WYTL2?th=1
Or good quality tungsten weights, except I hate to lose those in snags, lead I don't care, they are cheap.
And start here, you can find answers to most of your questions to be better prepared for your next beach trip. Good luck.
https://surffishingsocalsd.com/
Butch
- RBFishing
- Angler
- Posts: 23
- Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:33 pm
- Location: Los Angeles
- Has thanked: 12 times
- Been thanked: 17 times
Re: Good budget rod?
Regarding water flow, with fishing from the surf you can always expect it to be different day-to-day so you have to be able to adjust. We have had a strong south current for the last few days and that may be why the guys were hugging the rocks to find a spot with less current while you were out on the open beach getting dragged away. C-Rig is great when there isn't a strong current left/right but will get dragged in strong current. Line size matters, think of it as a kite in the water, smaller surface area, the less it gets dragged. When there is current, pyramid sinkers are your friend. See Mike M's post in page 1 for a great setup to minimize movement in water with current. I've used that set-up for 5 years, it works! Option to go with 1 hook or 2, your choice. With your SST pole, you shouldn't go higher than a 1-ounce sinker for danger of breaking your rod tip. I typically use 1-ounce and that works most of the time. You can go smaller on those calm days if you wish for more sensitivity.
On the line choice, for small fish (BSP, corbina, croakers) I choose 8lb mono. It's thin but strong enough, casts far, doesn't have too much surface area, and spools a lot of line on a 3000 reel. I cut off my rig after every session ~15ft and re-spool when it gets too short. It's inexpensive, stays fresh, and doesn't tangle like braid does. (most importantly NO wind knots like braid!!). For halibut/striper fishing I use 20 or 30lb braid with a fluoro leader either for jerkbaits or drop-shot. You can also use heavier fluoro or mono if you are planning to fish hali/bass in the afternoons when the wind is higher. Honestly, I just have different reels for each set-up so I don't have to change spools etc. Depending on the plan for that day, I just pair the desired reel to the pole so it's ready to go. If I might want to target both in a session, the extra reel goes in the car with me (or tied to another pole). If you get to love this fishing game, you will end up with more reels and poles. Ask anyone on this thread, and you will be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't have several poles/reels in the garage. We never leave a tackle shop or sporting goods store empty handed do we??
A couple other things come to mind. Buy sealed reels. It's the beach, salt water and sand are enemies. I NEVER set my pole/reel down on the sand, ever. Try to avoid dunking your reel at all cost, the water is full of micro sand which will kill your reel. Rinse and dry rod/reel after ever trip, religiously. They will last years if you do this - - - months if you don't.
On the line choice, for small fish (BSP, corbina, croakers) I choose 8lb mono. It's thin but strong enough, casts far, doesn't have too much surface area, and spools a lot of line on a 3000 reel. I cut off my rig after every session ~15ft and re-spool when it gets too short. It's inexpensive, stays fresh, and doesn't tangle like braid does. (most importantly NO wind knots like braid!!). For halibut/striper fishing I use 20 or 30lb braid with a fluoro leader either for jerkbaits or drop-shot. You can also use heavier fluoro or mono if you are planning to fish hali/bass in the afternoons when the wind is higher. Honestly, I just have different reels for each set-up so I don't have to change spools etc. Depending on the plan for that day, I just pair the desired reel to the pole so it's ready to go. If I might want to target both in a session, the extra reel goes in the car with me (or tied to another pole). If you get to love this fishing game, you will end up with more reels and poles. Ask anyone on this thread, and you will be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't have several poles/reels in the garage. We never leave a tackle shop or sporting goods store empty handed do we??
A couple other things come to mind. Buy sealed reels. It's the beach, salt water and sand are enemies. I NEVER set my pole/reel down on the sand, ever. Try to avoid dunking your reel at all cost, the water is full of micro sand which will kill your reel. Rinse and dry rod/reel after ever trip, religiously. They will last years if you do this - - - months if you don't.
- DarkShadow
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 581
- Joined: Thu May 25, 2023 11:52 am
- Location: East Los Angeles
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 526 times
Re: Good budget rod?
I don't surf fish, but how do rocks get further out in the winter?
I know trenches and pockets change on a day to day basis, but how is structure further out in the winter?
-
Neuroshima
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 264
- Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:45 am
- Has thanked: 219 times
- Been thanked: 270 times
Re: Good budget rod?
I meant structure holding fish, troughs and cuts. It's more of a fish behavior thing rather than physical structure. The fish don't come as shallow in my experience.DarkShadow wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2026 8:49 amI don't surf fish, but how do rocks get further out in the winter?
I know trenches and pockets change on a day to day basis, but how is structure further out in the winter?
- Midnightpass
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 1123
- Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:02 am
- Location: La Mirada
- Has thanked: 822 times
- Been thanked: 634 times
Re: Good budget rod?
I mostly only surf fish sandy beaches.. To me the sand pockets, bars, trenches and holes are structure… Maybe soft, and shifting structure, but the only structure I have.. Other than the surfers.DarkShadow wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2026 8:49 amI don't surf fish, but how do rocks get further out in the winter?
I know trenches and pockets change on a day to day basis, but how is structure further out in the winter?
Butch
- Mike M
- Mega Pro Angler
- Posts: 192
- Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:07 pm
- Location: Rancho Palos Verdes
- Has thanked: 32 times
- Been thanked: 157 times
Re: Good budget rod?
Sometimes the current is just ripping, and other times weeds will collect on your line and act like a sail to move your line with the current.
Casting up-current is a good strategy. If the beach and water are clear, you can also walk with your line keeping it in front of you.
Casting up-current is a good strategy. If the beach and water are clear, you can also walk with your line keeping it in front of you.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest