Saturday May 30th
- Spektrum
- Mega Pro Angler
- Posts: 155
- Joined: Thu May 02, 2024 11:18 pm
- Location: Escondido
- Has thanked: 6 times
- Been thanked: 228 times
Saturday May 30th
The morning started cold and foggy, a brisk 40° according to my car. Hopped in the boat by 5 AM and immediately took off down the Hauser arm. Thought I would give Topwater a fair chance for once and it paid off considering how slow the lake has been.
Had 8 fish within the first few hours all on a cheap wasp top water crawler off AliExpress. My go to site for cheap BFS gear and tackle. If I hadn’t forgot to pause after each top water take, I would’ve had close to 30 fish.
By 9 AM the top water bite had shut off and I managed to grab a couple more on weedless ned rigs. Anything that wasn’t Texas rig usually ended up with a giant ball of moss.
Stumbled upon a school of ok size crappie on the way back down the arm. They were very eager to bite a small crappy jig one after another. Headed back to the dock after about an hour of that seeing as I had to call it an early day. I didn’t see much point sticking around much longer as the water has gotten much more of a pea green color compared to last time I was here a few weeks ago. The water level was down as well. Some of the coves in the Hauser arm smelled stagnant as if lacking oxygen. No wolf packs to be seen just the occasional one or two here and there nothing worth chasing after.
Had 8 fish within the first few hours all on a cheap wasp top water crawler off AliExpress. My go to site for cheap BFS gear and tackle. If I hadn’t forgot to pause after each top water take, I would’ve had close to 30 fish.
By 9 AM the top water bite had shut off and I managed to grab a couple more on weedless ned rigs. Anything that wasn’t Texas rig usually ended up with a giant ball of moss.
Stumbled upon a school of ok size crappie on the way back down the arm. They were very eager to bite a small crappy jig one after another. Headed back to the dock after about an hour of that seeing as I had to call it an early day. I didn’t see much point sticking around much longer as the water has gotten much more of a pea green color compared to last time I was here a few weeks ago. The water level was down as well. Some of the coves in the Hauser arm smelled stagnant as if lacking oxygen. No wolf packs to be seen just the occasional one or two here and there nothing worth chasing after.
- JWall
- Extreme Angler
- Posts: 985
- Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:24 pm
- Has thanked: 3386 times
- Been thanked: 1236 times
-
JigginJaws
- Angler
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 1:00 pm
- Location: Murrieta
- Has thanked: 6 times
- Been thanked: 8 times
Re: Saturday May 30th
Thanks for the report...man Barrett seems like a bust now a days. And this slime moss everywhere sounds concerning. I was looking forward to this trip in a couple of weeks but now, with these reports..not so much 
-
objetty
- Angler
- Posts: 34
- Joined: Thu May 04, 2023 1:10 pm
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 11 times
- Been thanked: 58 times
Re: Saturday May 30th
Don't despair. Was there on Saturday also. Between my buddy and me, we had 40 fish in the boat. Even got one just shy of 5 lbs. Not as many large fish as in years past but still very fun fishing.JigginJaws wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2026 11:25 am Thanks for the report...man Barrett seems like a bust now a days. And this slime moss everywhere sounds concerning. I was looking forward to this trip in a couple of weeks but now, with these reports..not so much![]()
The water was not as green as it was 10 days earlier when we last fished Barrett. We caught more and bigger fish on Saturday. The filamentous moss can be avoided. There was a LOT of fry in the water in Pine varying in size from 0.5" to 3". That was new compared to 10 days prior as well. Signs of life for sure.
-
Osidecoffee
- Mega Pro Angler
- Posts: 125
- Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2024 9:21 pm
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 378 times
- Been thanked: 198 times
Re: Saturday May 30th
I was definitely worried for my outings, but both sessions over the past 2.5 weeks for me were good enough days out there. Not on fire like some have experienced in years past, but plenty of biting fish to fill a day with. And just gotta make the most of what it is right now.
-
JigginJaws
- Angler
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 1:00 pm
- Location: Murrieta
- Has thanked: 6 times
- Been thanked: 8 times
Re: Saturday May 30th
Thank you all for these updates...as I feel a lot better going. Its not I wasnt going to go, but your reports helped ease that. Thank you
-
bass at sunrise
- Angler
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:07 pm
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 7 times
- Been thanked: 8 times
-
objetty
- Angler
- Posts: 34
- Joined: Thu May 04, 2023 1:10 pm
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 11 times
- Been thanked: 58 times
Re: Saturday May 30th
No signs of a die off. Didn't see any dead fish at all. The larger fish I caught (over 2 lbs) were undernourished. That fish I posted should have been around 6.5 lbs. The smaller fish were fat and healthy.
- Johnnylh
- Mega Pro Angler
- Posts: 100
- Joined: Wed May 03, 2023 3:12 pm
- Location: Bonita California
- Has thanked: 19 times
- Been thanked: 61 times
Re: Saturday May 30th
Nice! Thanks, that's where I caught my biggest one last week as well. We didn't get all the way back to the back though, maybe a third of the way back.
-
JigginJaws
- Angler
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2026 1:00 pm
- Location: Murrieta
- Has thanked: 6 times
- Been thanked: 8 times
Re: Saturday May 30th
Kind of topic...but how late can you stay at Barrett? Assuming sun down, but not sure. And would assume the bite would be pretty decent.
-
Cali_Angler
- Angler
- Posts: 14
- Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2024 12:57 am
- Location: San Diego
- Has thanked: 93 times
- Been thanked: 10 times
Re: Saturday May 30th
When the shade of the West hills starts to cover the East hills, one of the hosts jumps on a boat from the dock and makes a round to both arms to check and see if there's anyone stranded and to call it a day!
I've been asked to leave a couple of times
And yes even if you're tired and aware that it's time to go, the fishing is so good that it's hard to leave!
I've been asked to leave a couple of times
And yes even if you're tired and aware that it's time to go, the fishing is so good that it's hard to leave!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests