Got one

For all fly fishing related discussions - tackle, locations, fly tying, and reports from everywhere and anywhere.
Easy
Angler

Got one

Post by Easy »

Stuck a solid YFC on a clouser this afternoon in MB. Next cast hooked a ripper that pulled 30ft of line out of my hands, put a tad too much pressure and snapped off 8# leader. Been a tough winter for me so happy for this fish. Also first fly outing in months. Cheers to the new site
20230410_155742.jpg
Got the picture upload figured out.
Go down to "attatchments"
Choose image
Below that, select "place inline"
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Re: Got one

Post by Neuroshima »

Nice. Looks like the season is finally starting to heat up.
Rattus
Pro Angler

Post by Rattus »

Solid fish! Green/White Clouser?
Easy
Angler

Post by Easy »

Rattus wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:42 pm Solid fish! Green/White Clouser?
Yep. Floating line with a 12ish ft leader. I like using the floating line in shallow bay spots. I gotta hit strouds and refresh my clouser supply. Bought some from Amazon last year and they were poor quality.
Neuroshima
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Neuroshima »

Easy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:25 pm
Yep. Floating line with a 12ish ft leader. I like using the floating line in shallow bay spots. I gotta hit strouds and refresh my clouser supply. Bought some from Amazon last year and they were poor quality.
We gotta meet up. I've got so many extra clousers. I tie about 9 for every one I fish.
Baja_Traveler
Angler

Post by Baja_Traveler »

I use the same reel on my 6 weight - Show up to Bay Park Fish on Saturday and I'll tie up some for you! We'll be there from 11am to 1 in the back.
Easy
Angler

Post by Easy »

Baja_Traveler wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:44 pm I use the same reel on my 6 weight - Show up to Bay Park Fish on Saturday and I'll tie up some for you! We'll be there from 11am to 1 in the back.
It's a great reel for the price in my opinion. Had mine 2 years now, the drag has been put to the test and is consistent and smooth. Plenty of sand and saltwater exposure, I rinse it well and haven't had any problems or signs of wear/damage. Happy with that purchase.
I'd love to come up there one week, I typically work afternoons on Sundays. Next time I get a start time 2pm or later I'll go.
Easy
Angler

Post by Easy »

Neuroshima wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:09 pm
Easy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:25 pm
We gotta meet up. I've got so many extra clousers. I tie about 9 for every one I fish.
I'd be down. Currently Mondays and Wednesdays are pretty much my fishing days. Might get into tying this year. Not that I need another hobby lol but would be cool to customize flies
Easy
Angler

Post by Easy »

Went out again this afternoon. Got picked up once, no hookup. Before I left, saw some bait scattering and kept casting in the area. As I pulled my fly out of the water, a halibut jumped 3ft out of the water, scared the shit outta me. Tried to find him for another 20 minutes but no dice.
Baja_Traveler
Angler

Post by Baja_Traveler »

Haha! Same thing happened to me down in Baja - we were wade fishing an estero and as I raised my fly out of the water a halibut shot out and went over my shoulder! Fun times…
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

So cool, I’ve only ever witnessed acrobatic halibut in Baja. Santa Maria bay. Things would cart wheel out of the water on the spook.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Mcfish
Extreme Angler

Post by Mcfish »

I've seen them jump in the big bay..a crazy sight every time!
Tubefly
Angler

Post by Tubefly »

For what it is worth - been trying to catch a carp on the fly - I am getting closer - anyway, hit Henshaw yesterday - the cats were very open to taking a fly - good time