Travel Rod Suggestions

Discuss rods, reels, lures, terminal tackle, line and fishing related accessories or apparel.
Luc42
Angler

Travel Rod Suggestions

Post by Luc42 »

Does anyone have any recommendations for a solid travel rod. Looking to be able to keep the rod in my trunk 90% of the time. Easy to break down and store when not in use. Looking for quality and something that is versatile for the bays and beaches.
William Ritchie
Pro Angler

Re: Travel Rod Suggestions

Post by William Ritchie »

Guess the question is , Spinning or casting and what the intended purpose is IE bait and wait or artificial and constant casting ? CAbelas / bass pro off shore angler and Okuma SST travel rods will probably fit the task . Try to find somewhere to handle the rods before purchase if possible . The SST travel rods I have seen and used are pretty basic and had good actions . Good price mark , under 150 for all of the above though . Guessing another question would be will a suitable rod for intended work if it is only 2 piece ? Good luck in your search . WR
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Daiwa Ardito is a great rod for the money. Very similar to the more expensive phenix red eye. Smooth bend throughout. . I have both phenix and daiwa.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

Take a look at the Major Craft Crostage rods. A Japanese made rod… A lot of shops are carrying them now..

https://www.majorcraft-america.com/prod ... ravel-4pcs
Butch
Luc42
Angler

Post by Luc42 »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. So to give you more specifics I’m looking at a spinning rod to use for artificial and constant casting.
Just_Bass
Pro Angler

Post by Just_Bass »

Are you looking for 2 pieces or multi pieces? Major craft as @midnightpass recommended is good. I would go with Benkei 2 or 4 pieces rod for budget friendly.
I on the other hand go with telescoping Rod just because my experience with Daiwa Presso 4 pieces is not very good (the top piece came loose when whip hard) but don’t worry about majorcraft the connection is different. I bring this rod when I travel on the plane, fit in carry on nicely.
Attachments
ADAE6BD2-8D0F-4E99-AE99-94A66E534BCC.jpeg
twin22s
Angler

Post by twin22s »

IF its just needs to fit in your trunk then any 2 piece 6'6"-7' combo will be fine. if you want it to pack smaller I have been using a Fiblink 4-piece rod when I need to sneak it past the wife on vacations, its heavy for its size but gets the job done.

https://www.fiblink.com/products/fiblin ... ishing-rod

I also have the baitcaster version. ignore the line rating, they fish best with 8-12lb mono.
As with any multi piece rod check your ferals every so often and make sure the sections are still tight.

The telescopic rods are convenient but not as stout, I guess it depends what you want to use it for, there are 3 and 4 piece saltwater rods rated 30-50lb.
Lucky Dad
Angler

Post by Lucky Dad »

I have had good luck with Okuma travel rods.
Midnightpass
Extreme Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

Luc42 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:28 pm Thanks everyone for the suggestions. So to give you more specifics I’m looking at a spinning rod to use for artificial and constant casting.
What length do you like?…. What weight do you cast?… Haw much $$ do you want to spend?..
Butch
MaxZmus
Pro Angler

Post by MaxZmus »

There are a lot of good and affordable options on AliExpress. I have a few 3 and 4 piece travel rods. They all cost less than $40 and they work great! You should check it out.
spicy mayo
Angler

Post by spicy mayo »

Im a big fan of Dobyns rods. They make a Kaden travel rod in both spinning and casting. It comes with a case so it wont get banged up in your trunk when you shove other things in there.

https://dobynsrods.com/the-dobyns-kaden ... od-series/