Aluminum Bassboat Restoration and PSA

For boat owners and prospective buyers to talk about owning and operating boats, as well as maintaining, repairing and rigging them. Also a place to discuss fishing boat makes and models.
JWall
Extreme Angler

Aluminum Bassboat Restoration and PSA

Post by JWall »

First the PSA…if you burn/melt the ends of nylon trailer straps, dip them in water to make sure they aren’t still burning. Short story, bought a new cover with long straps needing to be cut. I melted each end after cutting, examined closely, then spent another 5-10 minutes around the boat cleaning and adjusting the cover. After going inside for about 20 minutes a neighbor came banging on my door screaming my boat was on fire. Despite close visual inspections, the straps had continued to burn/smolder up to the cover and catch it and the boat on fire. Luckily we caught it before the damage got past superficial but now I have carpet to replace or patch, burn marks to try to buff out, and a wheel fender to replace. Looking for a party or company to give an estimate and complete the restoration. Thanks!

John
Attachments
IMG_2950.jpeg
IMG_2954.jpeg
IMG_2949.jpeg
IMG_2956.jpeg
camobass
Extreme Angler

Re: Aluminum Bassboat Restoration and PSA

Post by camobass »

Wow what an absolute bunmer but it could have been way worse. Fish it as is, has some mojo!
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
JWall
Extreme Angler

Post by JWall »

camobass wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:57 pm Wow what an absolute bunmer but it could have been way worse. Fish it as is, has some mojo!
As they say, scars are usually good stories! I might only replace the carpet but might make sense to file an insurance claim and get it all done right.
crawdadguy
Angler

Post by crawdadguy »

glad your boat survived...concerning for sure
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Just take her out squid fishing and the rest of the boat will look like the burn section
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life