May 4

For Barrett Lake fishing reports ONLY. All other questions or discussions should be in the general Barrett Lake forum
Borderbasser
Angler

May 4

Post by Borderbasser »

Pretty fun morning at the B for me. I had 67 by 2pm when I decided to go home. Nothing over 3 but the topwater was great for me in the morning.

The key to the topwater for me was finding the bait. It was an ok bite but it really took off for me when I spotted the wolfpacks. I would get 3-6 bass really fast and then keep moving with the bait. My advice to find the bait is to follow the white birds and the lonely pelican.

The back of Hauser is awesome right now. It’s like a swamp that just goes on and on. It’s like fishing a completely different body of water. The trees open up into pond size pools and there are bass and bluegill everywhere back there. You can spend all day flipping there. There are nesting birds in all the dead trees. It was just a total different experience than the main lake. I felt like I could have gotten the Barrett 100 if I had stayed til close but I was tired AF.

It feels like the frog bite should turn on soon, maybe a couple weeks I think. Weather was great with overcast skies thru about 10.
camobass
Extreme Angler

Re: May 4

Post by camobass »

Nice report. At these levels, you can sometimes get across a sand bar and go up into hauser creek into the canyon and jungle fish. Haven’t seen it this year back there.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Early release
Extreme Angler

Post by Early release »

Great report. I think it's funny you call that one pelican, the lonely pelican. I noticed him too and he was pretty good at fishing.
619bassin
Pro Angler

Post by 619bassin »

Nice work. I was back there, it was a little difficult with all those threes but worth it. A kayak is easier than a boat and yes frog bite will be on soon, I did get 2 on frog.
Borderbasser
Angler

Post by Borderbasser »

Next time I go I’m gonna bring the go pro cuz it’s totally worth recording. It’s like you get transported to the bayou, then when you come out it’s a giant lake. So rad.
Seaway
Angler

Post by Seaway »

it just keeps going and going
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

Sounds like a good day out there!

I fell you about the being tired AF after a few hours of yanking fish outta that lake. Back in my younger days, it'd be an all day thing, getting back to the dock 10 minutes before closing. I would wake up the next day ready to go for Round 2.

Nowadays? I'm crunching down Advils on the way home, and getting the Bengay ready to go.

Good solid day out there, especially getting on that topwater bite.