Spawn on?

For Barrett Lake fishing reports ONLY. All other questions or discussions should be in the general Barrett Lake forum
Delgado
Angler

Spawn on?

Post by Delgado »

For Discussion: Didn’t last year’s spawn get messed up with ever changing water levels?
Any thoughts about this years ? Or how this months lake survey findings are? Nests et all.
C U at Barrett
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Re: Spawn on?

Post by DarkShadow »

When I fished it a week ago, there were fish in all stages.

Some were hard locked on beds, some were wandering the shallows with a mate.

Some were just making their nests, and some were guarding nests.

Water temp was in the low 60s, FWIW.
Delgado
Angler

Post by Delgado »

Nice!!
Thanks for your input 🫵
Loveyourmama2
Angler

Post by Loveyourmama2 »

You fished it ? Did you have to use their boats ? How was the fishing ? That's awesome you get to fish early I might add . I bass fish alot wondering what you like to use at Barrett ? Did you catch anything with size ? Sorry about all the questions if I never ask anything I don't learn .
Johnnylh
Angler

Post by Johnnylh »

Probably won a spot with the CDWF share program. They allow a small group to fish early to weigh and measure the fish for data collection. I won 2 years ago and did the same.
Loveyourmama2
Angler

Post by Loveyourmama2 »

Awesome how do you get apart that program ? I am a serious bass fisherman very seasoned on catching fish expeially Barrett been going over 25 years now .
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Share program is a raffle. It’s pretty much a donation because only a small random picked group of people get selected out of hundreds who buy a “raffle” ticket. Look up SHARE on dfg site. It’s usually mentioned here before it happens every year. I’ve tried several times and just donated my money. Good luck next year.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Loveyourmama2
Angler

Post by Loveyourmama2 »

Thanks for the heads up ! That's awesome you get to fish early . Barrett a special place to me so love to help anyway I can . Thanks again appreciate your words !
DarkShadow
Mega Pro Angler

Post by DarkShadow »

Loveyourmama2 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:07 pm You fished it ? Did you have to use their boats ? How was the fishing ? That's awesome you get to fish early I might add . I bass fish alot wondering what you like to use at Barrett ? Did you catch anything with size ? Sorry about all the questions if I never ask anything I don't learn .
Yep, we used the same boats that the anglers who bought tickets on Ticketmaster will use in the next few months. I know a few motors had issues that day I went, including a boat that a DFW employee was using. I almost had to tow him back to the marina.

As far as baits? Barrett is a special place and when the bite is on, you can pretty much use anything.

Having said that, the bigger fish for me have come on either buzzbaits or jigs. It's extremely tempting to mess with the one pounders that you'll see.

One the day that I went, my first 2 fish were about 4 pounds each and while I could've caught 100 of those pesky 1 pounders, I chose to fish deeper and the average size of the fish was impressive.

The first time I took my buddy, I told him that if he tied on a drop shot, he was getting kicked off the boat. :-D Don't waste your time with techniques that are meant to catch finicky fish unless it's absolutely necessary.

Depending on what the fish are doing, you have to match your bait accordingly. In the morning, you can definitely throw a topwater bait or a buzzbait and get some action. Once the sun comes up and the fish retreat, I like throwing a Texas rigged bait into the thick. Try to focus on baits that are not going to get hung up, and will allow you to fish the trees efficiently. For some reason, I tend to have success with black/blue plastics.

Feel free to ask questions, as I fished it about a month ago and while I was restricted to fish Hauser, the bite was phenomenal.

dakicka
Angler

Post by dakicka »

DarkShadow wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:43 am Some were just making their nests, and some were guarding nests.
This was the majority of what we saw yesterday.
Delgado
Angler

Post by Delgado »

Spot On with the Spawn On DarkShadow!!
I confirm the same on the opener.
Water clarity and the late burnoff made an amazing Big B aquarium below!!
Polarized lenses and the right light angle lit up nesting sites everywhere!
I could site fish with top water gear for a good hour.
Enjoy your day tomorrow et all!!!!
Delgado
Angler

Post by Delgado »

May 15th 06:30 Beckey Cove , hauser and the dam hat trick
May 15th 06:30 Beckey Cove , hauser and the dam hat trick
Very cold Wednesday morning with slight breeze headon on the way out.
Calmness dominated the whole lake when this pano was shot
Enjoy !
Morning burn off was very late while the top water bite was brief?

Trolling A rig over semi shallow areas ( Soawn areas) and had much better luck!

Enjoy the weekend all!🫵