Any Tips For Surf-Fishing The Cortez Side SJDC/CSL

This is your place to post about fishing Baja, Mainland Mexico and all points South. Got a trip to Cabo or Belize? Post about it here!
Mike M
Angler

Re: Any Tips For Surf-Fishing The Cortez Side SJDC/CSL

Post by Mike M »

Yes, that’s the same seminar I met him at. Bring your lunch and eat during the seminar. They have forward facing tables. Then you can enter the show from there without waiting in line.
Midnightpass
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

Mike M wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:32 pm Yes, that’s the same seminar I met him at. Bring your lunch and eat during the seminar. They have forward facing tables. Then you can enter the show from there without waiting in line.
Is it worth going to the seminar?… I’ve been to a few of Bill Varney’s seminars all ready… He’s worth seeing, but the only reason I’d be going is to see Wes…
Butch
Mike M
Angler

Post by Mike M »

It’s $40 for the seminar which includes the $20 fee. So the seminar is $20 and you don’t have to wait in line to enter the show. The seminar is entertaining, but didn’t really learn much last time. Although I did win a 3xl hoodie in the raffle at the end.

If I were planning to fish with Wes, it would be worth the $20 to hear first hand about his logistics and talk to him personally. I suspect that he would be willing to give you a $20 discount if you sign up with him, but that’s just me guessing.
Midnightpass
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

Thanks Mike…
Butch
Midnightpass
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

Anybody got anything new to add?... I picked up a couple of Ice Cream lures, some larger KMs and Krocs and a couple of other lures... I' think I'm spooling the Shimano Vanford 5K with 20#, white J-Braid 8X, unless someone has a better suggestion... Couldn't make up my mind between 20# and 30#.... Casting distance and capacity VS strength... I guess I'm going with the former.. Any suggestions are still welcome..
Butch
maraxus
Angler

Post by maraxus »

Midnightpass wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:25 am Anybody got anything new to add?... I picked up a couple of Ice Cream lures, some larger KMs and Krocs and a couple of other lures... I' think I'm spooling the Shimano Vanford 5K with 20#, white J-Braid 8X, unless someone has a better suggestion... Couldn't make up my mind between 20# and 30#.... Casting distance and capacity VS strength... I guess I'm going with the former.. Any suggestions are still welcome..
Butch
My vote is for the 20# braid, exactly for the casting distance reason. Have a 25# leader and you'd be all set! Have fun fishing at Cabo!
camobass
Extreme Angler

Post by camobass »

Braid + any rock/structure = heartbreak. Throwing metal on mono will be just fine. I spent many years pounding the shore up and down the cortez side and never had any issues with a bass rod with mono.
Jesus is The Way, The Truth and The Life
Midnightpass
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

camobass wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:53 am Braid + any rock/structure = heartbreak. Throwing metal on mono will be just fine. I spent many years pounding the shore up and down the cortez side and never had any issues with a bass rod with mono.
maraxus wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:04 pm
Thanks.. Most of my fishing will be off of the sand... No rock crawling for me... There are boiler rocks around... I'll be using a Shimano Vanford 5K... It will only hold 195yds of 12# mono, but 260 yds of 20# braid... I'm thinking the 12# is pretty light for the Cabo area... Maybe even the 20# braid even... Thus my debating 20-30# braid...
Butch

My vote is for the 20# braid, exactly for the casting distance reason. Have a 25# leader and you'd be all set! Have fun fishing at Cabo!
Thanks... My reasoning exactly... Do you think I should go to a heavier than 25# leader to combat the needle fish and sierra mackerel's sharp teeth?... I've seen mentioned up to 80# mono/fluoro or even wire leader...
Butch
Midnightpass
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

camobass wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:53 am Braid + any rock/structure = heartbreak. Throwing metal on mono will be just fine. I spent many years pounding the shore up and down the cortez side and never had any issues with a bass rod with mono.

Thanks.. Most of my fishing will be off of the sand... No rock crawling for me... There are boiler rocks around... I'll be using a Shimano Vanford 5K... It will only hold 195yds of 12# mono, but 260 yds of 20# braid... I'm thinking the 12# is pretty light for the Cabo area... Maybe even the 20# braid even... Thus my debating 20-30# braid...
Butch
maraxus
Angler

Post by maraxus »

[/quote]

Thanks... My reasoning exactly... Do you think I should go to a heavier than 25# leader to combat the needle fish and sierra mackerel's sharp teeth?... I've seen mentioned up to 80# mono/fluoro or even wire leader...
Butch
[/quote]

I had no issues with catching needlefish / houndfish with 25lb leader. I caught several and did not have any break offs. I wasn't lucky enough to get any sierras, I think realistically that's the only one that can cut your line for shore fishing. My recommendation would be to go with 25 lb and in case you run into Sierras, then you can tie a wire leader or a thicker leader to address them. By the way, if there are sierras around, I believe they would be further away from the shore, so 20# braid casting distance advantage would be important
foulhook
Mega Pro Angler

Post by foulhook »

@Midnightpass How did the fishing go on the trip?
Midnightpass
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

foulhook wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:43 pm @Midnightpass How did the fishing go on the trip?
I haven't gone yet... Later next month...
Butch
Midnightpass
Mega Pro Angler

Post by Midnightpass »

Thanks for all of the advice guys... Unfortunately, you should have given it to a better fisherman... I SUCK!... Not a bite in 5 mornings of fishing...
But thanks for trying to help a guy out...
Butch
maraxus
Angler

Post by maraxus »

Midnightpass wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:27 am Thanks for all of the advice guys... Unfortunately, you should have given it to a better fisherman... I SUCK!... Not a bite in 5 mornings of fishing...
But thanks for trying to help a guy out...
Butch
Sorry to hear that you've skunked :( . Hopefully you can make up for it on your sessions to our local beaches. Thank you for sharing the update about your trip